Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop aprons...do you wear one?

Shop aprons...do you wear one?

I am always looking for my tape, my calculator, my pencil, etc. I am thinking of trying out a shop apron. I found one from Duluth Trading Company that uses shoulder straps instead of a loop around the neck. I may hate it, but I am going to give it a try.
    Just curious if anyone else is as unorganized as I am :-)
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mastin
    I am always looking for my tape, my calculator, my pencil, etc. I am thinking of trying out a shop apron. I found one from Duluth Trading Company that uses shoulder straps instead of a loop around the neck. I may hate it, but I am going to give it a try.

Ya Mike, I usually were an apron because I get kinda messy when I'm working in the shop and LOML definitely frowns upon sawdust coming in the house

Dave

No, I do not wear a shop apron or tool belt in the shop. I do wear a high-necked smock when turning to keep the chips out of my clothes and I also use it when I'm routing dovetails for the same reason. I have two and the one I like the best is a sleeveless style from Packard Woodworks, although my AAW smock is nice on a very hot day without a shirt under it. I personally don't find that an apron or tool belt helps keep things any more handy for me in my shop, so I just keep a bunch of pencils at each work station and try to return my squares and rule back to the same place every time I use them.

BTW, the long-tail tee shirts from Duluth Trading are really great for working in the shop. I finally had to retire a bunch of old pocket polos last summer and the Duluth tees (which also have a pocket) have really been a functional replacement.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The first thing I do is put on my apron, it's right next to the light switch. I used to lay pencils all over the shop like Jim until I got the apron, now there's only two or three. The one disadvantage to my apron habbit is that the DC remote gets tripped every once in a while when I lean over something. If I know I'm not going to use the DC I'll lay the remote down, then the next time I need it I can't find it.
    Jim

I wear a duck cloth apron but didn't like the strap around my neck. So the LOML sewed it onto a pair of bib overalls that she cut off above the knees & stiched together like an apron. Now I just loose one shoulder strap & step into it & refasten the shoulder strap & it sets on wide shoulder straps on my shoulders & not my neck whooee.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I wear these all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mastin
    Carhartt Carpenter Bibs. May not be in fashion but they hold a lot!
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

I assure you I'm every bit as disorganized as you are...or anyone else, for that matter. I tried an apron, but it's just too hot to be adding clothes. I pretty much won't work in a shirt without pockets, tho. Perfect place for the pencils to go until their first use.

KC

I've tried many aprons...always go back to the toolbelt. I add suspenders when I'm working outside. I have the older model of this...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I wear one often....

...but it is to keep the dust outta my underware and the paint off my shirt. You know I don't have a conventional ww shop. I'm doing all kinds of fabrication and slop a lot of messy goos (contact cement, paint,inks,mdf dust). So, I wear a knee length, light weight, cotton apron. As light as it is, after eight hours it still cuts in the neck. If I need any tools,pencils, or tapes, I'll wear a tool belt. And then there is that "safety" thing. It needs to be snug on the body. No loose strings or material.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

I do when I'm turning and sometimes when I'm doing flatwork. I'm just now trying to get in the habit of doing it, since I'm prone to go out there in decent clothes. I have two types of clothes--work clothes and soon-to-be work clothes. Hopefully the aprons will prolong the duration of the latter category.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I didn't use an apron when I was installing cabinets because I was afraid of damaging the cabinets. I have short legs and arms---I have to have a ladder to paint the floor!!!!!!! HI HI----so the "junque" that I carried in them was in the way. I didn't even like a big buckle that held up my britches. A little buckle got cover under my "overhang"

I did work with a fella many years ago that had a apron like Glen pictured and it was alway loaded with tool, but he wore it backwards with the pouches in the back, but my arms wouldn't be long enough to reach all of the tools. I bet his loaded tool apron weighted 30 pounds!!!!

Now when I was doing building construction I did wear an apron to hold nails. pencil, square and hammer.

KEN
    RUSTYNAIL

Yes. I love the pockets Carl
    18th century nut --- Carl

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

**pic**

Sometimes I wear one of these

Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Cool

WAYYYYYYYY too much detail, Ken

I Dare You To

post a picture of you in the apron. On a hot day do you wear anything under it? Carl
    18th century nut --- Carl