Thread: Router Table Height?

Router Table Height?

Excuse me if I don't explain this well, but, I need to have my TS mobile and when I put it away the right wing goes against the wall.

My original plan was to put a router table in the right wing of my saw (which I already did) and have a storage cabinet against the wall short enough so that the TS wing clears it. The cabinet was also going to have a void in the middle to allow clearance for the router hanging out the bottom of the TS (the router is mounted to an insert but it probably would be a pain to remove it every time I stored the saw).

After looking at my sketch of the storage cabinet design I was thinking another option would be to mount the router table top on the cabinet. But, I’m back to the original reason I put the router table in the TS – work surface height. The maximum height of the router tabletop on the cabinet is 32” as compared to approximately 36” to 37” as mounted in the TS today.

Would 32” be too low for a router table? (this is about the height of the table on my jointer)

IMHO, yes 32" is to low. I'm 5' 7" tall & have my router table at 36".

The height of any machine in your shop should be based on you being comfortable when operating it. Not what everyone else sets theirs to.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Labadie
    IMHO, yes 32" is to low. I'm 5' 7" tall & have my router table at 36".

The height of any machine in your shop should be based on you being comfortable when operating it. Not what everyone else sets theirs to.

Ed
    I agree whole heartedly. If you're tall, bending over for any length of time will be a pain - so to speak. Make the height comfortable for you, not me.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

IMHO, 32 is too low. You want it comfortable for your height. I think mine is 36 or 37 inches high. I built it to a comfort level height for me.
    Jerry

I think that 32" would be too low, I'm short (5"5") and have mine at 34"....this works out well for me.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke
    Excuse me if I don't explain this well, but, I need to have my TS mobile and when I put it away the right wing goes against the wall.

My original plan was to put a router table in the right wing of my saw (which I already did) and have a storage cabinet against the wall short enough so that the TS wing clears it. The cabinet was also going to have a void in the middle to allow clearance for the router hanging out the bottom of the TS (the router is mounted to an insert but it probably would be a pain to remove it every time I stored the saw).

After looking at my sketch of the storage cabinet design I was thinking another option would be to mount the router table top on the cabinet. But, I’m back to the original reason I put the router table in the TS – work surface height. The maximum height of the router tabletop on the cabinet is 32” as compared to approximately 36” to 37” as mounted in the TS today.

Would 32” be too low for a router table? (this is about the height of the table on my jointer)
    Measure from the floor to the palm of your hands held parallel to the floor. that should be ideal within an inch of perfection for your router table height.

My router table (and most other surfaces in the shop) are at the same height as my table saw. That provides more versatility when you want to use it for things like additional infeed/outfeed support.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...