Thread: Deals at WWing shows?

Deals at WWing shows?

Going to the Collinsville show this weekend. What kind of deals can I expect to see? 10% off? 20% (that would be nice). Just curious. I imagine it depends on the items and the vendors. I was wondering if there is a typical discount, if there is such a thing...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

One thing to consider, if you hang around until near the end of the show you may find some great deals! A lot of vendors don't want to take the equipment back home. They would rather sell it at a big discount (25-35%) than pack it back up and ship it home.

Keep your eyes and ears open. Look for bright color tags that weren't there earlier in the show or ask about three or four hours before the end of the show what price they will sell a particular tool for. You may find some bargains. I know I have.

Gary -

Over the past couple years it seems to me that the deals have not been at the shows. I really enjoy going to them, but often there are local vendors that will give as good a deal as you can find at the show.

Having said that, I still go an look, and often buy. It's my big outing of the year, and LOML lets me spend some $$. This year I picked up an Incra TS system. I could have got it for slightly less through Woodpeckers, but I had the permission and the $$, and it is fun.

-Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dodge
    One thing to consider, if you hang around until near the end of the show you may find some great deals! A lot of vendors don't want to take the equipment back home. They would rather sell it at a big discount (25-35%) than pack it back up and ship it home.
    What I have found to be the case at most shows is that you have to make the deal on the floor equipment the first day of the show.

There are occasionally some "show specials" on particular items or free shipping with folks like Lee Valley, for example, but shows generally don't have meaningful deals in most cases. If you're considering "big iron", particularly from vendors like Mini Max, Laguna, Felder, etc., you can often get very nice deals relative to shows, however...both price concessions and "stuff thrown in". The real key is to know what things will cost you normally, including shipping. Many show purchases require you pay tax, too, so be sure and keep that in your mental figuring on how good a deal is on certain stuff.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-08-2006 at 4:20 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lewis
    What I have found to be the case at most shows is that you have to make the deal on the floor equipment the first day of the show.
    That may be the case with some vendors while others may wait until the end of the show. My experience has been to wait until the end but results may vary.

You might want to ask the particular vendor you are interested in what he is willing to do. If he like to sell it at the beginning and give it to you at the end then make the deal. If he wants to wait till the end then you may need to let him know you are interested and will be back later to make an offer.

Early or late in the show? I made my deal on both Mini Max machines I own a couple weeks before the shows they were purchased relative to...that can sometimes streamline the freight cost if you can pick up at the show on Sunday. My major point here is that there is no guarantee that "floor models" are not already sold when the doors open at the beginning of the show. More an more, they are already headed to a "shop near you" when the lights are dimmed at the end...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Gary, I'm with Jim. Know your prices before you go. It would be good to take a notepad with prices for tools or machines that caught your eye then you could haggle A couple years ago my wife and I went to a show with plans on buying a bandsaw but she caught me eyeing a Unisaw. She ask if it was a good price. I said "really good price".Brand new limited edition Unisaw 50" fence, mobile base, blade, 2 cast iron wings... with tax,out the door $1468. She said "get it". I took it home on Saturday. I love my honey bunny. Bought some Bessey Uni clamps $6 cheaper than anywhere else. SHOWS ARE GOOD.

I'm headed to Collinsville also. Breakfast meet with some of the guys before the show opens.
    I went to the KC show this last weekend. Real Bummer. Half the vendors, no real deals to speak of.