Thread: Picture Framing

Question Picture Framing

Jane has been cutting framing mats for around a year and now wants to begin making her own frames, primarily out of red oak. Our main question is how have you had the most success joinging the pieces together? We have seen some of the different press-tools that put in the clips from behind? Do they work well? It seems like there may be a danger of splitting.

Also, of all the myriad of angle clamps out there, which ones work for you?

Are there any good web sites on framing? Any information you can give is appreciated.
    JB

Jim, I have used several different methods over the years for Picture Frames. I have just glued & clamped the mitered corners on some smaller frames, and they have held up just fine. I have also used the small, "Detail" Biscuits for joining the mitered corners, and this method works very well. I picked up the small, Ryobi Biscuit Joiner a few years ago at a sale very cheap. I didn't think I would ever use it, but when it comes to small items and thinner stock, it is perfect. There are several clamps available for framing. I use the Bessey Multi Angle Strap Clamp. I really like this clamp, and I use it for many projects...........mostly boxes and frames though. I have seen the metal spring steel type clips that are applied using a special plier, but I have never used them. I am hesitant to use anything that will mar or damage the wood, and these metal spring type clamps HAVE to do some damage, or they just aren't holding well. I have seen other methods used to hold corners together also..........from gusset's on the back of the frame, to nails in the top and bottom frame rails, (So they wouldn't show), to splined corners, which is attractive, if that is the look you are going for. I don't know of any Websites on Picture Framing, but a quick Google search may yield some results. Hope this helps some...........let us know how things work out..............would like to see some photo's too!

Here is what I use...

...I've made picture frames for many years Jim. This is a relic. Stanley framing vise. It holds the molding in both directions so you can align the miter, face up. This method still requires pin or brads to fasten the frame. Newer methods of joinery use the staple in the back. This vise ain't cheap, even today. But it may be cheaper than the staple route.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Blog Entries

Glue!

I use just glue on all my picture frames. I just completed 5 frames (ordered the glass yesterday) out of red oak. They are all glued at the corners. The trick to gluing is getting your miters perfect. The longer the side of a frame, the more perfect the miter has to be. Glue won't make up for gaps in the corners and clamping won't pull them closed either. I use a clamp that has four corner pieces connected by threaded rod. These apply light pressure until the glue dries. It also lets me adjust the corners to get everything even.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Picture framing

Jim, everyone has their own way of cutting and securing picture frames, and if it works, thats the best. Like Kevin, I sometimes use the Ryobi miniture buscuit jointer, and as Lee suggested the miters must be perfect for glue joints. I cut all my frames with the Dubby which insures that the miters are perfect. On larger frames, I drill a 3/4 hole 3/16 deep on the reverse of the frame, centered on the miter and glue in a 3/4 plug, and sand flush. Have never had one come apart. I clamp with a band clamp, which works well for me. ( I drill the 3/4 hole while still in the clamp.) The money you save by matting and framing your own work will purchase a new tool. Bill Sampson, Richmond.

We picked up a Bessey Multi Angle Strap Clamp this weekend. We haven't used it yet, but we did play with it a little. I think it will work very well for her. Thanks for the information, everyone.
    JB

Blog Entries

Miter Maker Jig!

Here is the jig I use for making my miter cuts. It isn't pretty, but it makes perfect 90 degree corners every time as long as you cut one on the left and one on the right for each corner.

Making the jig is pretty simple. I put on the two runners first, then made the saw kerf. I used a plastic drafting triangle to set the first 45 off the saw kerf. Then I used my carpenters square (check yours to make sure it is really square) to lay out the other side. The two vertical boards are attached by screws up through the bottom. I added the cross brace and oak backer piece (with pocket hole screws) later when I found that the jig was bowing slightly due to seasonal changes.

The strips of black tape are shims made from electrical tape that tuned it in to make perfect angles. I've make frames up to 40" X 50" long on a side that met perfectly at the corners, no gaps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute