Thread: Building boxes

Building boxes

I got started yesterday afternoon building the cabinet boxes for my son's new home. He is 25 and this is his first home, which he has done a good bit of the work himself.

The kitchen is L-shaped and maybe just a bit small since you never have enough storage space in a kitchen. The two lengths of wall are 123" and 105" so by the time you take out for a fridge, stove and dishwasher, that doesn't leave a lot of room for base cabinets.

He wants the face frames and raised panel doors made out of Ash. With a last name Ash he wouldn't settle for anything else, not to mention the road he is building his house is named Ash Hwy. I've bought his Ash lumber in the U.P. where he was born and after splitting some with fellow creeker Larry Merlau, I still have a bunch to use up so it worked out real good for my son.

Last edited by Steve Ash; 02-09-2006 at 3:05 PM.

Looks great, Steve! I'm looking forward to seeing them with the face frames installed, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yowza...Cruisin' right along there, Steve! You're sure you want to use Ash now, aren't you??? Keep the updates coming. Looks to be the makings for an interesting "how to"!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Good thing your name's not Steve Zebrawood, 'cause I think that'd be a bit too over the top for kitchen cabinets.

Looking good, Steve -

- Vaughn

Looks like a good start. Your son will be bragging all around the neighborhood.

-Alden

Looking good Steve! Can't wait to see the face frames go on. You are using 1/2 inch Birch ply for the boxes is it?

Corey

Vaughan, actually we are also making a bed for him using zebra wood as part of the posts and framework....how did you know?

Corey, yes that is 1/2" birch plywood.

One other accent he wants me to make is a "northen star" inlaid into his hardwood floor. It will look similar to the compass that Bill Arnold posted yesterday of a table he made.

Nice work Steve. Be sure to post more as you progress.
    Reporting live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    Good thing your name's not Steve Zebrawood, 'cause I think that'd be a bit too over the top for kitchen cabinets.

Looking good, Steve -

- Vaughn
    hey vaughn hs son is making abed that has ash and zebra wood in it as well so you are pretty good at mind reading// possible new profession for you
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

John Russell Guest
    Steve,
    For someone new to building boxes, I have read about a variety of ways to make boxes and each raises questions for me about some boxes I would like to build. Looking at these images, I assume that you did not rabbet a top piece for the cabinets because of some counter top issue. Or is there another reason that you did not use plywood and rabbet a top to enclose the top of each cabinet? Hope that is clear.
    Thanks
    JR

those are some kick-ash boxes

Quote Originally Posted by John Russell
    Steve,
    For someone new to building boxes, I have read about a variety of ways to make boxes and each raises questions for me about some boxes I would like to build. Looking at these images, I assume that you did not rabbet a top piece for the cabinets because of some counter top issue. Or is there another reason that you did not use plywood and rabbet a top to enclose the top of each cabinet? Hope that is clear.
    Thanks
    JR
    Clear as mud John, here is a pic to illustrate how I did these. I glue the dado of the face frame to the 1/4" extended box side and glue that as well. I also use a block that you can't see that is pocket screwed to the face frame as well as the plywood strip, clamp for several hours and that's it.