Thread: Stronghold or std. oneway for ony chuck?

Stronghold or std. oneway for ony chuck?

As a new turner I am about to buy my one and only chuck. I've got the PM 3520 lathe, so the Oneway Talon is not necessary. My local shop likes the oneway line and I've used it before and like it so I thought I would stick with oneway. However, I don't know if I need the stronghold or just the standard oneway chuck. Any suggestions on how to decide which one to get? There doesn't seem to be much difference so I am leaning towards the standard oneway chuck.

Tom, I much prefer being able to operate the chuck easily with one hand, so the Stronghold with it's keyed operation is what I like. If you don't mind using the tommy bars, then the standard Oneway chuck is fine.

The Stronghold or the Talon are the best choices of the OneWay line...both allow for one hand-adjustment. The only real difference is size with the Stronghold being larger...appropriate for your lathe. (That said, I still use my Talon on my Stubby 'cause I own it. I'll by a larger chuck when and if I feel I need it)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used to have a Talon with my old lathe, but sold the two as a unit. Now have a Stronghold with my larger machine and love it. Next chuck will be another Talon since there are times when a smaller chuck provides more clearance.
    Only the Blue Roads

Bought the Stronghold years ago, Love it. Bought the interchangable face plates for smaller operations, LOVE It more. Bought the center adapter so I can turn between centers without having to take the chuck off the headstock. LOVE IT TOO. I can say nothing wrong about this product or Oneway they know what they are doing.

Have fun with yours
    Keith

I have the Stronghold, Talon and Nova. The Vicmarc beats them all for me. It holds well, I can take off and put back on fast and true. I have the Vicmarc in the 120 and 100 series. Vicmarc are great for platters, they do not mark the recess. There is no digging and searching with the Vicmarc, you just put the Hex key in and go on. I would like to have the time back I spent screwing around with Oneway and Nova. I still use the Stronghold but only when my Vicmarc is tied up. My Axminster 4 jaw chuck Hex Key also beats the heck out of the Oneways and Nova in my opinion.

For the PM the Stronghold or Talon would be appropriate. You say this will be your one and only, but that might change. The only problem with the Oneway chucks is the jaws are not interchangable between the Stronghold and Talon. Really depends on how big the items are you wish to turn.

Is the stronghold too large to comfortably turn very small items? LOML tends to like to make really small things (she has worked as a jewler before) and she also has a tendency to make really large things (she has made more than a couple oil paintings 4'x5'). Whatever she does, it won't be simple or ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jones III
    Is the stronghold too large to comfortably turn very small items? LOML tends to like to make really small things (she has worked as a jewler before) and she also has a tendency to make really large things (she has made more than a couple oil paintings 4'x5'). Whatever she does, it won't be simple or ordinary.
    Tom,
    With #1 jaws, the Talon will go to 1/4" external (compression), the Stronghold to 3/8" external. Of course with either, you still have a bunch of size/mass spinning in close quarters to your hand when doing tiny things... Maybe you might consider something like a Beall collet chuck for "tiny" purposes. There are some fantastic "mini" turners here and I'd bet one will be along to chime in with excellent advice soon

Tom - The spigot jaws are an accessory for the Talon or Stronghold. The jaws are longish - maybe an inch - and can grab something as small as 1/4" in diameter.
    Only the Blue Roads