Thread: Stuff's getting expensive

Stuff's getting expensive

I've needed to replace some of those "expendable" items in the shop so I went over to Lowes this morning. I bought a couple packages of hacksaw blades, two sets of Bosch jig saw blades, a couple of drill bits to replace two I broke, and some 3X sand paper. Cost--$79. No wonder I put off buying these for so long. Does anyone know where you can buy the 3X sandpaper in bulk? In packages of 3 they cost over a $1.30 a sheet. I can buy a contractor pack of regular sandpaper fo $8 which makes the price 32 cents a sheet. I can use four of those for the price of 1 3x so I think I'm behind on the 3x stuff.
    Dennis

All the small things are what hit the wallet the hardest.

sandpaper is my largest continuing cost in the shop if you exclude electricity......02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Highland Hardware has the 3X paper for $18 - $24 for a 20 sheet pack

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com...OD&ProdID=6860

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Thanks Brian.
    Dennis

Woodcraft has 20 packs for $9.99 to 11.99, depending on grit on line. I assume the stores are the same price.

I've been buying my sandpaper (sheets, belts and discs) via mailorder from Econ Abrasives. Their prices seem good, and service also. The only problem is that they do not have a wide range of sanding materials as the name would suggest (example: 3M sanding pads).
    -Jeff

I ordered some from Woodcraft. Their prices for the 20 size package, even with shipping, is half the local Lowes price. I like to support local merchants, but not at 50 percent more.
    Dennis

Sandpaper is outrageous. I just placed an order for some sheets and disks yesterday - $165 including shipping. Now, granted, I got quite a bit of it - but it is still sandpaper.

Lee Valley seems to have a pretty good price on it if you're buying in bulk.

Brent

You think that's bad....PT posts have gone up from $5.97 four weeks ago to $8.97 today. All PT lumber went up at least a $1 in the last week. They're killin' me at a time when business isn't that great. I'm gonna haveta go down to two on the crew to stay afloat on the next deck.

Kelly, complaining about the cost of sandpaper and hacksaw blades for my hobby doesn't seem so important when you talk about laying people off because of the price of lumber.
    Dennis

Luckily I have only one big job on the schedule or I'd be in big trouble with bids. I've never seen lumber go up this much in 'winter'. Just so you guys know, it will be affecting all lumber very soon. New Orleans and the gas price crisis are going to team up very soon and lumber will be shooting through the roof.