Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I - shouldn't I? That is the question

fred, i own an older hegner that suits my needs but rbi and excalibur are good saws also....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Ok, on the withholding part, I totally agree with Tyler...aim for little or no refund. Instead, have what you feel you won't miss from your pay sucked out of your checking account automatically in to a high-rate savings account for "future use". (I use ING Direct for that as well as to accumulate the funds for my local earned income tax which I cannot get withheld from my pay)
    -----

On the scroll saw question, yes, they are a unique "specialty" tool, but can give you many hours of enjoyment. (Similar to a lathe in that respect) Honestly, you could even use one in the, um...lounge...when it's really, really, really too cold to be in the shop as only minimal dust is generated when using one. It may also be something that the LOYL may enjoy from a craft perspective.

But I also agree that it could be a tool that just sits...you know how much you use your lathe.... So if you do buy, get a decent one that holds resale value should you decide it's not for you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken
    I suppose it is what I'm used to, as we have a Delta 16" in the shop, but that is what I'll be picking up when I tool up the new shop this spring. If I had the extra cash I'd spring for the dewalt DW788. For the money, everything I've read says that is the best 'budget' saw around. I've seen but not used the Hegner and higher end saws, you'd have to be a serious scroller to afford one of those.
    The DW788 though, is one fine machine. Do you still have that skill-builder I gave you? if not, let me know I'll copy it again and send it down.
    Here is the guy, folks, who is responsible for my sudden urge to try my hand at scroll sawing. So blame him Yes Ned, I do and I have purposely kept it on hand for the day that I decide to jump in and give it a try. That day may well be at hand. For those that have recommended the DeWalt scroll saws, that is the very one that I have been taking a look at.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

The key is that you should enjoy the tool you buy, The Dewalt will be a great saw for you, without breaking the bank. John and I would both love to have one, but that little delta gets a workout every week.
    We have LOTS of patterns, let me know if you need/want some.
    Ned

2B1ASK1