Thread: Brain Cramp! Need Color Code for Wiring.

Brain Cramp! Need Color Code for Wiring.

O.K. I am suffering a brain cramp this morning. Does anyone know of the NEC color codes for 220/240 three phase as well as 440/480 three phase?

There seems to be some arguments as to what colors are used. I did find an explanation as to using orange on the high leg albeit this not actually apply to a phase converter system.

My understanding was that the 220 volt three phase should be RED-BLACK-ORANGE(wild-leg).

But I did have an electrician tell me that the 440 code was YELLOW-BROWN-ORANGE. I thought it was YELLOW-BROWN-BLUE. Of course, if its Yellow-Brown-Blue, then which color is assigned the high leg?

Has anyone come across a concise article in the NEC that finally gets to the bottom of this? It seems that there may be some inconsise usuage here and I am not used to the NEC being anything but spot on. I am used to grabbing the book and getting the answer.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Dev,
    If my memory is correct, 208/120V 3 phase colors are red, black and blue for the phase legs. 480/277V 3 phase colors are brown, yellow and orange for the phase legs. White is typically used for neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Morrison
    Dev,
    If my memory is correct, 208/120V 3 phase colors are red, black and blue for the phase legs. 480/277V 3 phase colors are brown, yellow and orange for the phase legs. White is typically used for neutral.
    Of course, now we also have 240 volt three phase and dont forget that 208 is a dual voltage standard meaning its a Y connection with neutral. That is how you get the 120 volts. I just re-read 384-3(e) regarding the use of orange on the high leg. No mention about voltage. No mention about differing colors as well. As I am *ONLY* under the NEC, this bothers me. Local codes may supercede this somehow but I have no local codes. Were I live, its *ONLY* the NEC.

Dev,

As far as the NEC goes, there isn't any. Other than the use of orange as the high leg in 4W Delta systems as you've noted.

Other than that, the only "reserved" colors in the NEC are green (or bare) for the EGC, and white and gray for the grounded (a.k.a. neutral) conductor. There's also 424-35 that has a color code for space heaters, and some section for hospitals about color coding isolation transformer circuits for operating rooms. But in general, the NEC assumes that only professionals will be messing with this stuff, and they'll use enough due diligence to make sure things get hooked up the way they should.

BTW, I have the NEC in searchable PDF form. Much better from this POV than the hardcopy.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Mahony
    Dev,

As far as the NEC goes, there isn't any. Other than the use of orange as the high leg in 4W Delta systems as you've noted.

Other than that, the only "reserved" colors in the NEC are green (or bare) for the EGC, and white and gray for the grounded (a.k.a. neutral) conductor. There's also 424-35 that has a color code for space heaters, and some section for hospitals about color coding isolation transformer circuits for operating rooms. But in general, the NEC assumes that only professionals will be messing with this stuff, and they'll use enough due diligence to make sure things get hooked up the way they should.

BTW, I have the NEC in searchable PDF form. Much better from this POV than the hardcopy.
    That is what I thought. I have to say that 424-35 is a riot. What a good laugh. Just make sure you dont connect yellow to yellow!

In any event, if you look at say 10 gage, 5 wire SO cord, you have white, green, red, black and orange. But this line is appoved for use up to 600 volts. So you can use SO cord for either 220 volt **OR** 440 volt applications. Being that most stuff is running on the 220 volt line, it strikes me as rational to use Red, Black and Orange for your 220 volt, three phase with Orange marking the wild leg. Then, you can use colored phase tape to deal with the 440 stuff with Yellow, Brown and Blue marking this. In my case, I will most likely go with Blue marking my wild leg on the 440 high side.

The biggest problem I have found is that you may wind up with a machine going the wrong direction. Then you swap any two of the three leads. Now its going the right direction. But did you swap out Red and Black or did you swap out Orange and Black or Orange and Red? This will matter if your machine has an internal leg to neutral circuit for say a work light, DRO or some aux plug, etc. Also if your mag starter is wired up with a 110 volt coil running leg to neutral. Now you may have a roasted starting coil! This is why its so important to be consistant and make sure your not violating the 455 statute about using a wild leg to neutral connection!