Thread: Value of a Stanley #45?

Value of a Stanley #45?

Just got back from Antique Row in Cockeysville and i noticed an old #45 rabbit plane for sale at $225. Looked to be in good shape and had an original wooden box full of differant cutters.

Is this a good price?

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Sounds about right. It depends on the type.

Here's a link to #45s on ebay

http://collectibles.search.ebay.com/...sPageNameZWLRS
    Last edited by Kevin French; 02-11-2006 at 4:35 PM.

That's a decent price if the plane is complete, the box is original, and the stanley label is on it. I've seen two types of boxes, an oak finger jointed wooden box and a metal box which sorta looks like an ammo can, painted yellow.
    Dennis

This one doesn't have a box for the plane, just the extra cutters. Perhaps i see if they'll take $150 for it....

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale
    This one doesn't have a box for the plane, just the extra cutters. Perhaps i see if they'll take $150 for it....

Brian
    Oops, my bad I read 45 in a box. Yeah, that's to much. You can probably find one in that condtion cheaper on e-bay.
    Dennis

Hi Brian, Four years ago I bought a Stanley #45 in brand new never used condition in the box with all of its parts including an envelope with spare nickers still stapled shut, the screwdriver, and the instructions. Be very careful as the newer models are far better functionally than the early versions and be prepared for a good learning curve if you intend to use it. One major thing to look out for is to see if the plane contains the cam accessory, it's often missing.

My #45 was purchased from an antique tool dealer so the price wasn't low or a real bargain, but it was fair. Your dealers price seems high unless the tool is complete with all of its parts and is in very good condition. Heavily used #45s are readily available and used ones missing some parts should come out in the $100-175 range depending on condition, type, and what parts are there. Unless you have access to local tool auctions, tailgate sessions of collecting clubs, or know a reliable used tool dealer be very wary about buying a tool missing parts. The cost of replacement parts via eBay or internet tool dealers can greatly increase the cost of completing your tool.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Incomplete tools

I bought a small tablesaw at auction. Before the sale started I got the auctioneer to put all the parts together, (saw, motor, rip fence, mitergauge). There was a Stanley 45 that sold for $40. I bought the saw and several cigar boxes full of small items and guess what? I have a cam follower for a Stanley 45.