Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New patternmaking lathe

New patternmaking lathe

Well it's from 1968 but it is new to me. The vitals are: Zimmermann DZ2000, made in West Germany, 32" swing over bed, remove the gap block and the swing is 54". Between centers is around 8', 9' bed and 11 1/2' total lenght, 6 1/2hp, two speed motor with the most complicated starter I have ever seen, made by AEG, reversing, with a range of 0-1000 rpm and 1000-2000rpm with a VDO tach that register 0-2000 in forward and reverse. The tach is mechanical and is not working, need help, anyone know VDO tachs or someone to repair this one? Every handwheel has a degree dial and there are 6 stop buttons and 1 on button. The stops are, start button, hit once to start and again to stop. The lever on the headstock is the brake, when you push it towards the tailstock it activates a stop switch inside the headstock, there is a stop button at the end of the bed and there is also a remote stop with a 25' cord so you can use it on the outboard side or anywhere. There are two switches near the bottom of the headstock, one is a motor on/off switch and the other is to change the motor speed from low to high and yes they had to throw an off position on that switch. The compound is different then an Oliver in that it has one more axis and is much heavier and more reach. The tailstock pivots so you can turn tapers with the compound, the tailstock throw is half as long as my old Oliver 20B. The tool rest base is really long to accomidate the 54" swing. The spindle is 3" diameter or metric equivelent and there is a degree dial there also.The spindle also has an extension of 8", with it on you can move the compound or tool rest behind the faceplate and turn from the backside. The faceplates on the floor are 16", 26", 36", and a solid steel 24" with slots that weighs 65 lbs. by itself. The lathe weighs in at around 2 tons and the lathe rests on cast steel platforms, one under the headstock and one under the end of the bed, they are 4" thick and if I did the math right the 30"x30"x4" headstock platform weighs 1029 lbs. This lathe was not at all fun to move. I sold my Oliver 20B to get this and as much as I loved my Oliver the Zimmeramnn is bigger, longer, and heavier and just as welcome in my shop as the Oliver was. I grew up using a Oliver 26 so a lathe this size is average to me. There is also an outboard floorplate, that is not in the 2 ton weight, that holds a column stand that you attach the compound to so you can use the compound outboard as well, the floorstand is not visible. When turning outboard you reverse the spindle direction and turn on the left as you would inboard. Faceplates fit either side and they have locking collars so a heavy brake or God forbid a nasty grab will not unscrew the faceplates. The spindle and tailstock tapers are number 4. The lathe aslo has a bed shelf to hold tool, coffee, or your lunch. You can see some of the original cutters sitting on the compound and the long boring bar that holds all the cutters, the reach of the bar is unreal, solid 1 1/8"x 1 1/8" bar about 16" long. I have a couple patterns to turn and quite a few walnut stumps that I want to make some lamp base out of. If anyone has ever seen a Zimmermann lathe let me know. There is a much smaller Zimm at another pattern shop in Akron, same as mine but much smaller, just shrunk down. Let me know what evryone think and if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Jeff Singleton
    Singleton's Woodworking & Pattern Works
    Barberton, OH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow! That's a hunk o' iron, Jeff. It looks like it's in wonderful condition, too. Congrats on a nice addition to your shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wow Jeff, that is awesome. Congrats!

Hmmmm...Just a bit overkill for turning pens, ain't it, Jeff??? OTOH, you'll have plenty of stability for turning them big Euro style ones! Man, that is really one honkin' machine! Can't wait to see that 54" salad bowl!!! Congrats! Awesome unit!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

WOW!! That is one hunk of iron. Ok I want to see one those big turkey platters. That is one awesome piece of machinery.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Iron envy, I tell ya. Got it wicked bad.
    Only the Blue Roads

And Andy, you with the "white wire"

Jeff I really gotta agree with Andy on this one, much to my chagrine.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Wow!! Congrats Jeff. That aught to do.

Ernie

You certainly will be able to turn a big bowl! Looks wonderful. Have you tried it yet? Smooth as silk?

Earl

Zimmermann of W. Germany made woodworking tools almost exclusively for hte patttern trade, I am told. They are still in business, but make only mills, CNC's, and the like, I believe. There is a US rep. in Southern California, and perhaps if you track him down he can assist with the Tachometer.

My used tool dealer says that Zimmermann tools are fabulous, and the several I have seen are just that. I have their 800 mm bandsaw and would not trade it for anything. The US rep says the company will still service it. I have also seen their profile sanders,a nd double disk sanders. Very good machining, and pretty simple, straightforward designs. Only becuase it was so inexpensive, I also bought a used overarm router that is a Zimmermann, but have not used it yet. I tried to get a manual for it but could not. The US rep., an old pattermaker himself, offered to buy it from me, but I declined, at least so far.

Have fun with your new toy.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

11. My goodness Jeff, you can turn the whole world with that machine!

VERY nice, I do not envy you moving it in there!

Is the floor strong enough?

I think you part of town might have settled a bit since you brought that bad boy home!!

54" swing, man the amount of ice cream you could get in that bowl boggles the mind!!

One thing about the tach, if it is mechanical, I bet you could find another mechanical tach and make it work.

Do you want to keep it all stock?

You could retrofit a digital one?

Again, that is one nice BIG piece of iron!

Cheers!

WOW! That's one big honkin chunk o' iron. I bet that it'll be sweet turning on that puppy.

Hey Ken, that's your next lathe!! Just think of the "Salmon Bonker" you'll be able to turn with that.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

WOW! Now that's what I'm talkin' about! It would look mighty nice in my new shop. Only half of it would fit in my current shop though. Very nice!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Monster Lathe!
    Congrats on that big piece of machinery.
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Now that is one monster lathe!! I think you win!
    Sparky Paessler