Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Board Footage in a Cherry tree

Board Footage in a Cherry tree

What would the board footage of a Black Cherry log be that was 34 inches in diameter and had a usable length of log that was 34 feet long?

Thanks,

wow! I want to see some after it's slabbed out.
    Last edited by Mike Parzych; 02-13-2006 at 3:24 PM.

According to my Wood-Mizer chart. A 30" dia x 16 foot long log would yeild 675 BD FT. It doesn't go any larger than that. But you about double this length. But I suspect The tree gets smaller towards the top too. So....maybe this will give you some idea

Thanks!!

I was reading a report about the County Forests in my County and they listed some of the trees that they took measurements of . That was the size of some of the Black Cherry trees in one section of the County Forest.

Should be enough for about 28 awesome bowls!

And if you core them, wow! I can't count that high.
    Only the Blue Roads

Here is a link to calculate BF in a tree. Well since I cant post a link here here is the address.www forestryforum.com/board/index

Remember when you are using the calculator you put in the SMALL end of the log. With a long log, 34' , you would split it down to 2 or 3 smalller logs (as it would be when sawn anyway).

A log - BF calculator can be found on the forestry forum.com here.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx direct link redacted

Cheers

Ian
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 02-14-2006 at 8:01 AM. Reason: removed direct link to another forum - policy violation

As fellow creeker, always willing to help out, I'll take it off your hands and get it off your mind. Just let me know
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

According to the chart I got from the sawmill, a 34" DIB (diameter inside bark) , 34' long would be 1800 bd ft. However, if it's 34" d outside the bark then it's probably 30 DIB. 1352 bd ft then. Holy smokes!

"A lot"....sheesh!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

reduce that amount by 20% for sap wood, unless you are going to keep it with the rest of the wood.
    lou

yesterday morning i looked a two large cherry trees that a newby with a band mill ruined! he was obviously trying to get the most yeild and some of the boards where 27" on the narrow end, but wet they where 15/16 at best! he looked at me like i was a nut when i told him that 4/4 kiln dried lumber is 1 1/8 in the rough and he`d be lucky to get 5/8 stock when his was cleened up. i walked away from 1700ft at a very fair price because i just can`t justify the hours to try and salvage usable stock from something so thin.......02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Tod, wish that was here in Michigan.

1/2 stock is nice for some of the laser projects Dad and I do.

How many trinkets can I build with 1700 BF. Better get working I guess.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz
    Tod, wish that was here in Michigan.

1/2 stock is nice for some of the laser projects Dad and I do.

How many trinkets can I build with 1700 BF. Better get working I guess.

Joe
    i`d be happy to give you his number, it`s been stickered about a week....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    yesterday morning i looked a two large cherry trees that a newby with a band mill ruined! he was obviously trying to get the most yeild and some of the boards where 27" on the narrow end, but wet they where 15/16 at best! he looked at me like i was a nut when i told him that 4/4 kiln dried lumber is 1 1/8 in the rough and he`d be lucky to get 5/8 stock when his was cleened up. i walked away from 1700ft at a very fair price because i just can`t justify the hours to try and salvage usable stock from something so thin.......02 tod
    I hear you tod on that. guys try to squeek out every last drop of wood and end up ruining a lot of it. another pet peave is when they saw through and through and leave the heart in the widest board. all that does is end up blowing the board apart and usually a total waste

lou