Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

I got half a day off on Friday for the snow. We dismissed at school at 10:30 so I headed home for a little early start on the weekend of work in the shop. I put out 34 raised panel doors by Saturday night and then started on a set of maple cabinet components. Two 96x27 ends with 6 panels each, 3 base cabinet ends, 1 upper cabinet end and one set of panels for the end of a bookshelf. I found out too late last night that this all could have been done with mdf as the lady of the house has decided to paint the cabinets. He was sick because I already have them cut out with solid maple. I have got to get these out this week sometime. Any of you guys need a partime job. I have a 3 day weekend coming up next weekend as we get off from school for president's day. I'm gonna try to put a finish on the set of kitchen cabinets that I have going.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hager
    I got half a day off on Friday for the snow. We dismissed at school at 10:30 so I headed home for a little early start on the weekend of work in the shop. I put out 34 raised panel doors by Saturday night and then started on a set of maple cabinet components. Two 96x27 ends with 6 panels each, 3 base cabinet ends, 1 upper cabinet end and one set of panels for the end of a bookshelf. I found out too late last night that this all could have been done with mdf as the lady of the house has decided to paint the cabinets. He was sick because I already have them cut out with solid maple. I have got to get these out this week sometime. Any of you guys need a partime job. I have a 3 day weekend coming up next weekend as we get off from school for president's day. I'm gonna try to put a finish on the set of kitchen cabinets that I have going.
    jim, if you wanna make a roadtrip i`ll shoot `em for ya...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

You're WAY too busy for me Jim. I don't see how you do it!!!! One day, Mark and I will come up for a visit, but with you being so busy most of the time, we'll have to work a "schedule" to see when we can come up and visit.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    jim, if you wanna make a roadtrip i`ll shoot `em for ya...02 tod
    I can have em shot before I could get the trailer loaded. the kitchen has 11 base units and 7 upper units. Not sure my trailer would haul the all anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    You're WAY too busy for me Jim. I don't see how you do it!!!! One day, Mark and I will come up for a visit, but with you being so busy most of the time, we'll have to work a "schedule" to see when we can come up and visit.
    Come on up anytime you get ready, just wear your working clothes. We'll take a break at lunch and go to subway and have a visit. I'm too busy to suit myself. I can't turn away the business as I plan to be doing this full time within just over a year from now. I'm afraid if I turn the business down it won't come back when I need it to.

I can have em shot before I could get the trailer loaded. the kitchen has 11 base units and 7 upper units. Not sure my trailer would haul the all anyway.
    how much compressor you got?
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Come on up anytime you get ready, just wear your working clothes. We'll take a break at lunch and go to subway and have a visit. I'm too busy to suit myself. I can't turn away the business as I plan to be doing this full time within just over a year from now. I'm afraid if I turn the business down it won't come back when I need it to.
    Sounds like "fun".!!!! Ok then, I won't wear my "nice" bib overalls, I'll wear my "working" bib's when we come to visit so I can do some "hands-on" stuff.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I delivered a walnut bathroom cabinet to a client in Hollywood on Saturday. I was very concerned about this delivery because the customer is extremely picky. The walnut had to have just the right colors in it (not all dark walnut color) and there could be no knots, the grain structure had to be just so and the finish had to be mirror smooth. She was paying for all of this so that wasn't a problem. I was just fearful that she would look at it, say it was nice, and then want me to go back and change something.

I knocked on her door, she opened, and screamed...but it was a good scream. She kept saying over and over that it was absolutely perfect. So now she has given me four more furniture projects: a kitchen table, two end tables and some bookshelves.

Not a bad weekend!

Unfortunately, I did not take pictures because I was sure I was going to have to make some changes to the cabinet. She said she would take pictures of the finished bathroom when all is completed and send me a copy. I'll post them then.

I got a few things done this weekend on "my list". Saturday, after Dr. SWMBO got back from the supermarket, I took some time to get the hitch receiver on the Highlander before the snows started. Later in the day, I spent some time cleaning up the upstairs of the shop building in preparation for moving a lot of my wood and turning stock storage up there. Since we are planning an addition to the house, the upstairs of the shop is no longer being considered for finished space...so I might as well use it more fully. Besides...it was a total mess. My photo booth will also reside up there full-time. Sunday, after spending some time clearing a bit more than a foot of snow from the driveway (some quality time on the Kubota...), I headed out to the 'borg for some shelving supplies and then installed them so I can start thinking about moving said turning stock one of these days. I also completed a handle for the P&N scraper I picked up during the recent Woodcraft one-day sale.

Saturday, eldest daughter had her first "away from home" experience with a visit to a friend's house for three hours. It was nice as she got the chance to enjoy the company of her friend and we got the opportunity to spend time with the younger without the older present. At just over two months as part of a functioning family, it was a little early for such things, but we felt there were some benefits that outweighed the risks. (These things are hard for folks not familiar with adoption and attachment to understand...so you'll just have to trust that there are things very different from bio kids in this respect early in the relationship) It did go well all around and we will likely have her friend over here, perhaps next weekend, for a few hours and see how that goes.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-13-2006 at 2:57 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Pretty much got all the Weekend Doin's list done or in progress. Got LOML's trellis finished and installed, milled the wood and started the initial glue-ups for a pool cue case I'm starting, and started the panels I need to lower a recently-installed doggie door. Also did other house chores like snaking a drain and washing the dogs.

As Lee mentioned, it was another horrible SoCal winter weekend weather-wise. Low to mid 80's Saturday and Sunday at the house. I'm sure all you folks on the East Coast feel real sorry for us out here.

- Vaughn

Saturday I attached the legs to the fold-down outfeed table, then put a first coat of finish on the bottom (it's 3/4" BB). Determined that using a paint pad to apply water-base was a complete lose, but that's why I tried it on a surface that won't be seen. Also determined that using my table saw as a finishing table is a really stupid idea, but at least the stuff cleans up easily. I'd picked up a sheet of 1/2" BB to make a panel sled, so I cut that to size and used the offcut to cut the blank for the sleeve board I'm fixing for a seamstress friend (replacing the broken piece of particleboard it was made with).

Sunday I did a lot of shoveling, but also put a second coat on the outfeed table (with a foam brush this time), completed the sleeve board and made a couple of ZCIs. I'd been careless enough to crank the saw over to 45&deg; with the 90&deg; ZCI in place, which wasn't so good for it. (Blade was unharmed, but I had to unbend the tongue of the blade guard/splitter.) Learned the hard way (again) that wearing a dust mask when routing and sanding MDF is a <i>really</i> good idea.

Next I'll reinstall the outfeed table, level it (I got some adjustable feet for this purpose) and rout the miter-guage channels. Then I'll build the panel sled. <i>Then</i> I'll finally be able to start cutting the panels for the kitchen cabinets. In my line of work (software engineering), we call this "yak shaving".

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    how much compressor you got?
    I use a croix turbine and a turbine air HVLP gun. I can spray all day without taking a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Sounds like "fun".!!!! Ok then, I won't wear my "nice" bib overalls, I'll wear my "working" bib's when we come to visit so I can do some "hands-on" stuff.
    I'll even put on my bibs when you come so we will look like brothers or something like that. I look forward to the meeting

I use a croix turbine and a turbine air HVLP gun. I can spray all day without taking a break.
    if`n ya need hep i wuz gonna load up the buckboard and a couple of paint guns and offer a hand? that`s why-come i asked.....02 tod

Hi Dennis and all....

My weekend did an about face from the way I had it planned. I did not even get near the shop the entire 48 hours. Spent most of Saturday playing taxi for my son who had his car in the shop for a scheduled 60,000 maintenance. That turned into quite a mess by days end when the shop locked his key inside the car and he lives 20 miles from the shop where the extra key is kept Not good to say the least, but at least we did get to go pick up his new side kick (puppy) during the course of the day.

After church on Sunday I had planned to do a little shop cleaning and organizing, but that all got changed when a BIL showed up for an unexpected visit.

Oh well... there is always next weekend

No wait..... I forgot that is the weekend we are going to the Smokey mountains for an R&R reunion with the "extended family".

Okay then... there is always the weekend after that
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 02-13-2006 at 6:12 PM.