Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automotive Wax For Table Saw Top

Automotive Wax For Table Saw Top

I thought I remember reading that you shouldn't use automotive wax to lubricate and prevent rust on cast iron tops, but I don't remember where I saw it. Just wondering if anyone does use it or why one wouldn't use it?

There are additives in car wax that will affect your finish on wood pieces.

I just use johnson's paste wax. No rust and slick.

Many automobile waxes contain additives, such as silicone which are "no-no" in a woodworking shop...they can cause all kinds of finishing problems. Use simple paste wax. I happen to use Minwax brand 'cause I've had the can "forever", but any similar product is just fine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks. Where do you find the paste wax? I looked all over at Menard's the other day, but couldn't find it and no one had a clue what I was talking about when I asked around. Is it in the paint/stain area or is it somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Kargas
    I thought I remember reading that you shouldn't use automotive wax to lubricate and prevent rust on cast iron tops, but I don't remember where I saw it. Just wondering if anyone does use it or why one wouldn't use it?
    Jeremy,

May I suggest you use Johnson's Paste Wax instead? Car waxes contain stuff like silicon which will effect your wood finish. Wal-Mart has the Johnson's Pase Wax and even a local big box store may have it.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

no car wax in the woodshop! silicones are the most evil little gremlins you`ll ever encounter. plain ol` furniture wax is great stuff for saw tables, hand saws, planes, ect......02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Where?

Johnsons Paste Wax ... Any BORG will have it. Blue or Orange. Look in their flooring dept.

I was in Home Depot here the other day - and out of curiosity looked for Johnson's - didn't find it, but I did find Minwax paste wax in with the other Minwax stains and sealers. Any idea if this contains any of the dreaded silicone or is any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Oelke
    I was in Home Depot here the other day - and out of curiosity looked for Johnson's - didn't find it, but I did find Minwax paste wax in with the other Minwax stains and sealers. Any idea if this contains any of the dreaded silicone or is any good?
    minwax works fine ..02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

BTW, it's SC Johnson Paste Wax. If you can't find it in local stores, you can order it direct. It's the third one down on that page in the short, yellow container.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks again for your help! I'll go back and look!

Johnsons paste wax -OR- Butchers Bowling Alley wax

Johnsons is everywhere (certainly Wal-lyWorld). I think I got the Butchers at HD or Lowes.

bd

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Kargas
    Thanks. Where do you find the paste wax? I looked all over at Menard's the other day, but couldn't find it and no one had a clue what I was talking about when I asked around. Is it in the paint/stain area or is it somewhere else?
    I too use Johnson's paste wax. It should be very easy to find -for instance my local grocery store sells it.

It really surprises me that no one you spoke to at Menard's had a clue about it.

You will find the past wax in the cleaning aisle with the Mop and Glow and Endust, mops, brooms etc... . Lowe’s has it. I have used the Minwax with no problem

Okay, odd man out here. I've used both Turtle wax and Meguir's on my saw tables and have never had a finishing problem. There's so little silicone on the buffed wax surface that it doesn't have any effect on subsequent wood finishing.

Can anybody here give <B>FIRST HAND</B> accounts of the wax on their saw's table having an effect on the wood's subsequent finish?

I can see having the problem if you wax the wood itself, but it's just never happened to me when the only thing waxed was the saw's table.