Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Automotive Wax For Table Saw Top

Since the non-silicone waxes work very well and are no more expensive than car wax, it should take no more than a tiny percentage risk from the silicone for the best advise to be "avoid the car wax which my have silicone."

I found Johnson's paste wax a my local Ace hardware.

I was going to ask the same question Jim. I have an old can of Turtle Wax that I have used many times without problems. I too wonder if its just one of those hyped-up woodworking myths. I dont doubt that silicone can cause finishing problems, but I cant imagine an appreciable amount transferring to the wood. And since I rarely go from the table saw right to the spray booth, I would think any residual wax would be removed. Anyway, for the price of wax, it really is worth it to use other waxes just to be safe. But thats not to say I wont still pull out the turtle wax if I run out one day.

Marc, it only takes a tiny, tiny bit of "that silicone stuff" to totally wreck some of your future finishing. Not all automotive wax contains it, but why take the chance? As Steve points out, a can of paste wax (SC Johnson, Minwax, whatever) doesn't cost that much and lasts a good long time...even if you start putting it on woodworking projects!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Like Jim says, I use Minwax paste wax and occasionaly it finds it's way to one of my projects.

I too used to use automotive waxes, and they did fine with no finishing problems. Not all automotive waxes contain silicone.

However I found a can of S.C. Johnsson's paste wax and decided to try it. I found that it lasts longer than the automotive waxes and is very slick.

BTW like others have stated, you'll find it with the cleaning supplies, not the finishing supplies.

I use a can of MinWax for the tool beds - keep a small scouring pad in the can for applying. I only use this can for tools so I don't worry about any grime transfering to the wax in the can.

I use a separate can of Butcher's paste wax for project work.

The paste wax is also good for lubing screws if you have some tough assembly work (brass screws into hard maple for instance)...