Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cart for Dewalt DW735

Cart for Dewalt DW735

Hi,
    I just bought the Dewalt DW735 planer. I want to build a cart rather than buy. I think the Dimensions on the retail Dewalt cart (DW7350) are something like 24 X 30. Not sure how high.

Can anyone with this planer recommend dimensions for a cart? I would appreciate a pic if you've built a planer cart.

Thanks,

Deck

I don't have a pic handy, but I built mine so bottom of the planer was about even with my elbows so it would be comfortable to feed the wood in. I'm pretty tall tho, you may prefer to make the cart height even with your other tools like a jointer, ts etc to perform double duty.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I built this one which works pretty well. It has me planing at a little below my elbows, which is very comfortable for me

Deck,

I built a flip-top cart for my Delta. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11844

It has worked out really well, especially since the planer doesn't get used every day.

Wes

DW 735 Planer Cart

Hey Deck; I have the same planer and built a rolling stand for it from a pic of the stand an the DeWalt site. It's from 2 x 4's with casters.

I'm going to bed right now, but will take a pic of it in the morning if you are interested in seeing it. Let me know by pm if that can be done on this site.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I built mine the same width as the end of the infeed table to the end of the outfeed table just in case I wanted to add aux tables later on. I also built it the so that the infeed and outfeed tables were the same heigth as my cabinet saw and workbench as that comes in handy for handeling longer stock. I used four 4" double locking casters so that I could move it around. I also enclosed it to try to keep the dust off of the contents in the storage area below. I have not painted it yet so you will just have to excuse the appearance. Am going to paint it grey to match most of my other tools.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you are buidling your own cart, a nice feature is to have built-in support tables that fold out of the way when storing. Here are some pics of the support stand that I built for my small planer. It is very stable when open, and it has some storage under it (space is valuable in my shop).

cheers, Jeff

That is excellent Jeff! I saved down the photos of your unit to consult when I build my support tables. I hope that you do not mind.

Allen

Do I mind? Absolutely not! In fact, I'm flattered!
    thanks...Jeff

Jeff -

What CAD software did you use to do those renderings?

bd

Brian...It was AutoCAD, full version.
    -Jeff

Blog Entries
    Deck, this isn't a cart for my new DeWalt, but I wanted to chime in and say that anyone who does purchase this model should really consider extending their outfeed table somehow. It has a horribly short outfeed extension and leaves the very real possibility of having a small chunk (snipe) taken out of the end of the board when it is moving the final few inches through the machine. I eliminated this problem by building it into my bench.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Not home made but it solved a lot of my limited space problems.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...?t=12788:cool:
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bischel
    Deck,

I built a flip-top cart for my Delta. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11844

It has worked out really well, especially since the planer doesn't get used every day.

Wes
    Wes,
    I did the same thing except I added yet another tool so I can flip between them. In this case my planer and my Delta sanding center.

http://www.wooddreams.net/images/Big...and_sander.JPG
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Byron,
    Yeah, I finally got around to mounting a couple grinders on the other side. I had planned on doing so from the start, just wasn't high on the priority list until I needed one for an extended time.

I like the handle on yours. I may put one on - right now I use the hand grips on the sides of the planer. Oh, and did you also find it much easier to flip with both sides loaded? Once I installed the grinders, the flip required much less muscle - actually almost none due to the balance.

Wes

PS - Deck, let us know how you make out.