Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Benchtop Mortising Machine?

Don't buy the delta, it doesn't take chisels bigger than 1/2". The stupid chuck is too small to take the bigger bits for the bigger chisels even if you manage to make a new bushing to fit inside the delta. DAMHIKT. If you want to cut bigger mortises, get the shop fox. The price is almost the same and you get more hp and larger chisel capacity. I cut 10 3/4" mortises last weekend with a 3/8" chisel. Talk about annoying. The only difference is the fence, and I don't think that's really a dealbreaker, the fence on the delta is not all that. Ideally you need to have that front clamping mechanism you see on more expensive machines but a clamp around the fence and workpeice works too. I hope I've managed to convey my frustration at the delta machine. If I were doing it again, I'd buy the shop fox model.

Edit - I just saw a pic of the shop fox fence, it actually looks like it adjusts easier/finer.
    Last edited by Marcus Ward; 02-13-2006 at 8:57 PM.

I researched mortisers, and ended up buying the Craftsman 152-21907. It's similiar to the Delta 14-651, but has a longer handle.
    The Shop-Fox W1671 has a larger motor, but it runs at 3450. I would be afraid that is too fast, and would shorten bit life.
    I just did a bunch of deep mortises on Southern yellow pine for new work bench legs. I was very pleased with the Craftsman's performance.
    I'm just a hobbiest, and can work slower. But I didn't have any problems chopping 1" wide mortises by making two passes with a 1/2" chisel.
    The key to making these machines work is sharp chisels, and bits. I sharpened the chisel and bit prior to starting the project.

benchtop mortiser

whichever unit you choose (I have the Delta and am happy with it) look at the wood central site for how to configure an x-y vise, it really makes repeatable mortising easy & securely holds the workpiece.

I have the Jet and it works ok....the hold down could be designed better
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Massery
    I have the 14-651 works great no problems. I really like the rack & pinion adjustment for the fence.
    Ditto here
    Jim

jeremy, if we`re veering away from the two you asked about multico probably makes the best benchtop unit on the market...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I have the Shop Fox and it works great and boy is this thing built.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Morrissette
    Jeremy,

I've had the Delta 14-651 for about a year and have had no problems. Great machine for the money.

Lou
    What Lou said! I really like my Delta.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. As usual this is the best darn creek on the planet!

I looked again at the Delta, Shop Fox, and now the Jet and also tried to get a total cost idea. I can get the Delta for $229 - $40 discount and free shipping from Amazon. The Shop Fox is $249 + $49 shipping. and the Jet is $275 - $40 discount - $25 mail-in rebate and free shipping. I only mention all of this because sometimes the pocket book dictates some decisions . I think I would really like the Shop Fox for the larger capacity in both stock and bit size, but I'm leaning toward the Delta at nearly $100 less.

If there are any more considerations please keep them comeing. I'll post the obligitory picture when I decide, order, and take delivery.
    Jeremy Gibson

I have a delta MM300, works very well, turns at the slower speed.

I'll play the Dutch Uncle here, and put a word in for using your Drill Press (you DO have a DP, don't you?) with some good Forstner bits, and follow that up with your sharp bench chisels.

Save the money you would have spent on the single purpose mortising machine, and bank it for your next big tool purchase.
    Maurice

Used my Jet today for four 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" x 1/2" mortises...love it!!

-joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Gibson
    I need to start building something for SWMBO instead of more shop cabinets and jigs. Of course, this just means I have justification to get a mortising machine. I have a Shop Fox bookmarked from Amazon for $250 but also have looked at the Delta Professional for $230. The Shop Fox is 3/4 hp and the Delta is 1/2 hp.

Excluding the really nice industrial machines, what brand / model has had real-world use and is recommended?
    Look around I was able to buy it a lot cheaper locally than on the net. Also you get a person to deal with problems also.

Ditto the XY vise

Quote Originally Posted by terry hansen
    whichever unit you choose (I have the Delta and am happy with it) look at the wood central site for how to configure an x-y vise, it really makes repeatable mortising easy & securely holds the workpiece.
    I have a Jet that I don't use much but the factory hold down is essentially useless. XY vise makes a huge difference.

Curt