Thread: Shaker style podium?

Shaker style podium?

I've been asked to design and build a podium/lectern for my minister. He asked that it be very light, so he can move it with one hand. It needs to be the kind that sits on the floor, not a table. I was thinking that a shaker style podium/lectern would be nice. Shakers are famous for making "light" pieces. I realize that Shakers probably didn't build them, at least not that I've been able to find.

I was wondering if any of you out there have built, or know of plans, for a shaker style podium/lectern. Pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Keel McDonald ><>

keel, i`ve built several podiums over the years but never one light enough to move one handed? are wheels an option? i`d be concerned that being light or on wheels when someone leans on it for support it may move...is he thinking more along the lines of a music stand instead of an actual podium? .02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

woodworking at home (a dvd based magazine) has a nice podium in issue #16 (see link).

http://store.woodworkingathome.com/0016-wahm.html
    Tage Frid: The easiest thing in the world is to make mistakes.

is he thinking more along the lines of a music stand instead of an actual podium?

Tod,

I guess you could call it more of a music stand. It is basically just for notes and a bible. He's not interested in storage space, electronics, or anything of that nature.
    Keel McDonald ><>

Read all through this thread, http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...hlight=lectern
    I asked a similar question on the design forum and there were plenty of good suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Keel
    It is basically just for notes and a bible. He's not interested in storage space, electronics, or anything of that nature.
    You might want to "argue" with him about that. I'm by no means an expert, but I've noticed that a shelf or "hidden" cubby hole is usually a very good idea on a pulpit. It is a place to tuck a glass of water, or a book, or some other visual aid.

More than once I've seen a sermon where the pastor had a visual aid, but they wanted it kept hidden until the proper part of the sermon, so that it wouldn't distract folks.

I *really* would strongly advocate for putting a shelf in a pulpit.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder
    You might want to "argue" with him about that. I'm by no means an expert, but I've noticed that a shelf or "hidden" cubby hole is usually a very good idea on a pulpit. It is a place to tuck a glass of water, or a book, or some other visual aid.

More than once I've seen a sermon where the pastor had a visual aid, but they wanted it kept hidden until the proper part of the sermon, so that it wouldn't distract folks.

I *really* would strongly advocate for putting a shelf in a pulpit.
    Art,

Believe me, I've tried to argue that very thing with him. Until now, he has used the "bulky" sort of podium, you know, the type that takes a small army of men to move. He also uses a smaller type, but it still takes two hands to maneuver. I've been looking on the internet, and SMC, at some music stands. I had no idea they could get so elaborate. I really like them and think they might just be exactly what he is looking for.
    Keel McDonald ><>

Keel, I've had the design in my mind for several years now, and the wood sitting in the barn, but I have not yet had opportunity to implement it. My idea is a Shaker style pedestal table with the pedestal extended to standing height, with a lightweight box on the top. It would have a shelf, and at least for me, it could be moved with one hand. Unfortunately, I am not normal. Most people should be able to move it by themselves, but it would still take two hands. Tell your pastor that the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing does not apply to moving the lectern!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Grumbine
    Keel, I've had the design in my mind for several years now, and the wood sitting in the barn, but I have not yet had opportunity to implement it. My idea is a Shaker style pedestal table with the pedestal extended to standing height, with a lightweight box on the top. It would have a shelf, and at least for me, it could be moved with one hand. Unfortunately, I am not normal. Most people should be able to move it by themselves, but it would still take two hands. Tell your pastor that the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing does not apply to moving the lectern!

Bill
    Bill

LOL! I'd be interested to see a pic of it when you finish.
    Keel McDonald ><>

I've just posted a pic of a shaker style music stand I made a few years ago in this thread:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=300365&page=2

Perhaps something along these lines would work? It certainly lifts with one hand, but no shelf or cubby hole I'm afraid.

Mark