Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening jig

Sharpening jig

I was getting ready to purchase the 4 piece sharpening jig from PSI. I thought it was the cheapest price I'd seen for the wolverine system. Then it dawned on me, this is PSI's version of the wolverine, it is not the wolverine system. Is that correct? It is quite a bit cheaper, $100 versas $150. Is the wolverine worth $50 more?

I dont know, haven't see one other than the picture. Is it actually available now? They have advertised that and their grinder for sometime I was told. PSI is pretty good at putting copies out, their pocket hole jig is pretty decent, mini lathe etc.

Corey

I was just looking at their catalog I received a few days ago. I assume they are available because they are in the catalog.

Can't help you on that one Paul. I got the wolverine jig. I am extremely happy with it. When I ordered mine PSI was out of stock at the time just before Christmas. No ETA for it either. If you do order from them don't be in a hurry even if it is in stock. I have ordered from them 4 times and it took from 15 to 19 days to get my order.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

You can make a darn good clone of the Wolverine out of scrap wood from your shop and about 2 bucks worth of hardware. Let me look up the web site where the instructions are posted. I'm just finishing mine right now so I can't comment, first-hand, on how well it works; but others seem to think it does a good job.

Added: Check this out. http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pdf/ShopBuiltJig.pdf

Thanks for the drawing Randy. That looks like something I'd like to try.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

You are correct there are some pretty neat homemade jigs on hte internet

http://www.a1studio.freeserve.co.uk/.../wtsharpen.pdf

is a little more detailed one and there is one by a gentleman named Jean Michel the is really sophistiated. I can't seem to get back to the web page for it for some reason today.

My problem is I'm one of those jig builders that spend my time building jigs for everything but no time using them after I build them, because I am building the next jig!

Oh,well building one more jig won't hurt, I guess.

I thought I read that Jean Michel had passed away so I don't know the status of his website. I tried my link to http://www.jeanmichel.org/woodturnjigs.htm and it didn't work either. I got this message:

"Notice: This domain name expired on 02/04/06 and is pending renewal or deletion"

This guy has (had) some incredible jig drawings, woodturnings, photos, etc. He is (was?) a lot like Stu in Tokyo with his creative solutions. If he did pass away, he will definitely be missed.

Dick

Yes, sadly. He passed away some time ago. Randy

I have made my version of the wolverine and made a few for some Friends including the vari grind jig!
    If you can weld it can be made with very few tools.

It looks a little different now I cut off the side V holders for the skew I didn't like the way it sharpened them and I think a lot of the wolverine owners don't like the attachment for the original ether

Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

I happen to have Jean Michel's drawings on a disc but I am unable to post it here due to the pdf file size. I can send it to your private address if you wish. that is the only way that I know how to send it
    Send me a private message
    Sorry.

Glenn your address came back as not valid, sorry

I built and use the jig Randy mentions and it works just fine. I believe it cost me on the order of 6 or 7 bucks. I have a Woodcraft 2 speed 8" grinder on it.

Nice job Jim, espically the vari jig. I am not a good welder so I am making a wood one for now. May try the metal this summer.

I also have the pdf file of the drawing of the Michel's jig. I am going to try to make his version of the vari jig.
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 02-16-2006 at 10:46 AM.

With Jim K's guidance, I made one as well - though I bought the Vari-grind on sale. Bless the person that invented Bondo - it covers the terrible welds.

Thanks again for the help Jim.

Wes
    Attached Images Attached Images