Thread: Dovetail drawer slides

Dovetail drawer slides

I'm wanting to make a sliding tool holder. I had thought about using a full extension drawer slide but I'm not sure it will work. The idea is to make a sliding holder for lathe tools that will slide out then back out of the way when not in use. My concern in using just one full extension drawer slide will cause it to rack and maybe ever come apart, (lathe tools are heavy). So I thought how about a full extension drawer slide made from wood using 3 sliding dovetailed pieces. Has anyone ever made one of these? How do you stop the inside piece so as it supports the outside piece which would be fartherest away from the bench.

As I don't have sketch up, I do have sketch up viewer, I guess I could make a rudimentary sketch, and will, if I'm not getting across what I'm wanting to do. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

I can't post a link to it here on SMC but there's a thread on the Knots forum that has a pretty interesting full extension DT drawer slide. You'd have to scale it up to support more weight but it's a pretty clever design. If you view any message on the Knots forum, then change the "msg=xxxx" in the browser address bar to "msg=21356" you should be able to get to it. The replies (multiple) from a member named Vern are the ones to look at.
    Use the fence Luke

Doug, got signed up and am just starting to read. Thanks for the heads up. If and when I complete this project I'll post it here.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day