Thread: Dimplex shop heater help

Dimplex shop heater help

I am looking into getting a Dimplex Model DGWH4031 heater. The heater is rated for 240v. I contacted a seller of this model and inquired about the outlet plug for this model, noting that my "220" line has two horizontal slots along with a ground. This setup seems to work fine for my Jet contractor saw (rewired for 220) and my Rikon 18 bandsaw.

The response I received was that the heater in question is a 20 amp model and I needed a 30 amp model.

Electrical things make my head hurt.

What do amps have to do with the outlet and how does he know what ampage my outlet has and what the heck model do I need to get some heat in my shop?? It remains cold here in northwest chicagoland and I just want to sharpen some tools and clean up a bit before spring without spending $400 on my little enclosed oil heaters.

Based upon your description of the 220 volt outlet, it is rated only for 20 amps. 30 amp outlets are usually similar to that of an electric clothes dryer or circular as the twist - lock variety. A 30 amp circuit will generally require 10 gage wire.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fite
    Based upon your description of the 220 volt outlet, it is rated only for 20 amps. 30 amp outlets are usually similar to that of an electric clothes dryer or circular as the twist - lock variety. A 30 amp circuit will generally require 10 gage wire.
    Actually there are two 240V receptacles that have two horizontal prongs. One is rated at 15 amps and is about the size of a standard household receptacle and the other is rated at 30 amps and is the larger "clothes dryer" type. The 240V receptacle rated at 20 amps has one vertical and one horizontal prong. Here is a link to pictures of some of the different receptacle configuratioins. The 240V-15 amp unit is not pictured; but I know exactly what it looks like as I have one in hand which is going into the garage this weekend. Randy

http://www.evenheat-kiln.com/technic...ept/recept.htm

Added: This link has a more complete chart showing receptacle patters.

http://www.mc2-ice.com/popular_conve...eceptacle.html
    Last edited by Randy Meijer; 02-15-2006 at 3:29 AM.

I'm a little surprised there is even a plug involved, as usually these heaters are recommended to be hardwired.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Townsend
    I'm a little surprised there is even a plug involved, as usually these heaters are recommended to be hardwired.
    Exactly what I was going to say...I've never seen a plug-in version of these heaters, unless I'm thinking of something different.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

[QUOTE=Randy Meijer]Actually there are two 240V receptacles that have two horizontal prongs. One is rated at 15 amps and is about the size of a standard household receptacle and the other is rated at 30 amps and is the larger "clothes dryer" type. The 240V receptacle rated at 20 amps has one vertical and one horizontal prong.

Thanks - Upon review, I have a 20 amp (although it takes both horizontal and vertical plug on that left side "input" (at least, that's how I set up my extension cord for the saws).

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by RichMagnone; 02-15-2006 at 6:37 PM.

Actually, my post was a little imprecise as well. I should have said: ".....The 240V plug rated at 20 amps has one vertical and one horizontal prong....." The 20 amp receptacle has one horizontal slot and one t-shaped slot. A 20 amp receptacle will accept a 15 amp plug or a 20 amp plug while a 15 amp receptacle will only accept a 15 amp plug(2 horizontal prongs). If you have the correct plug on your machine and all other wiring is done properly, it means you can never plug a 20 amp machine into a 15 amp circuit. Sorry for the sloppy language. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Exactly what I was going to say...I've never seen a plug-in version of these heaters, unless I'm thinking of something different.
    I don't doubt that what you and Brad are saying is correct. OTOH, some of the large window unit A/Cs draw about the same current as that heater, if I am not mistaken and they are plug-in units so I don't see any reason why you couldn't wire it with a plug and receptacle?? Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Meijer
    I don't doubt that what you and Brad are saying is correct. OTOH, some of the large window unit A/Cs draw about the same current as that heater, if I am not mistaken and they are plug-in units so I don't see any reason why you couldn't wire it with a plug and receptacle?? Randy
    Unfortunatly, TOS prevent me from linking to a page indicating that the unit needs a plug, but a search of "Dimplex DGWH4031" on google will take you to a site or two that indicates that the unit requires a 240v plug.

That's what makes this particular unit so attractive. I can mount it in the corner, turn it on and warm the shop, then unplug it and still work with my 220 tools.

Rich you can directly link to a product page as long as it's not on an auction site... ...or another forum.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...