Thread: Mounting A Router Advice Needed

Mounting A Router Advice Needed

As I approach this weekend planning my strategy for connecting my new M12V router to my new router table, I’ve been searching for related messages and links for tips. This is probably a no-brainer for you router experts, but this is my first router table and besides following the manual instructions, I figured I’d look for some additional advice from people with experience.

I was able to locate a couple of links related to removing the router springs, but was surprised there was never any mention of leveling the router in the table. I don’t know if “leveling” is the correct description, but what I mean is doesn’t the router collet/bit have to be perfectly perpendicular to the table top ? Do I just take it for granted that this will happen or do I need to use a dial indicator and possibly shim the router base to the bottom of the table ?

My table top is the Lee Valley Veritas Router Table which is basically a 16” x 24” steel plate that the router connects to directly.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated …. Tom

Typically the insert that came with the top should handle that. I have never even looked at mine to be honest. I guess you could go through the basics of the equivilent process of "traming" the router. It would be similar to "tramming" a metal mill, but you will have to get the indicator to measure back to the surface of the table and us the longest rod possible to measure the change as you rotate the collet around to make the "circle". Not really sure if it's worth the effort, but if you really want to I guess it can be done. I do not think that you can just use a normal dial indicator though, I think machinists use a test indicator, which measures differently. There are a few guys on here that are machinists... I am just in the very advanced stages of looking into machining.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

I wouldn't call myself a router expert, but assuming that the LV plate is perfectly flat, the only thing I can think of that could cause the router collet & bit to not be perpendicular is if the M12V collet wasn't perpendicular to it's own base. It might be easier to check this out of the table with a large diameter mortising type bit. I'm thinking if you put the router on a flat surface (such as a TS top) and lowered the bit until it contacted the top, you could use feeler gauges and rotate the bit around by hand to check if one side has any gap to the table. Then you'd know if one side or another needed shimming.
    Use the fence Luke

mounting a router

Tom:
    Whats important is the router Table Top.
    If the table top has a parallel surface (top to bottom) there will not be any problem. The top that you mentioned is a parallel top and easy to mount to.
    The router is already squared to its base by the way it was manufactured and the router and its base assembly mount right to the bottom of your table top.
    Four sheets of paper on top of each other are about .015 thick and .015 over 1" = 1 degree aprox.
    Not bad when you think that when you set up the bit and make your cuts its always in the same area.
    dont think that you will be needing a dial indicator or have to do any shiming .
    set it up and and try it out.
    Start square and you will finish square