Thread: IR Compressor Deal

IR Compressor Deal

Hi, all. I'm looking to correct a mistake I made on a CH oilless noisemaker that broke down recently.

The local Tractor Supply has a couple attractive deals. One is made by CH under Farm Hand name (or something like that) with a horizontal tank around 20 gal, oil lubed and belt driven, around $300.

Other option I'm leaning towards is an Ingersoll Rand Garage Mate. I've read lots of good things about IR compressors, and the Garage Mates I found on the net are belt driven model#SS3R2. This model is direct drive, model #DD2R2 (sounds like a Star Wars droid, right?). Has a 24 gal vertical tank, oil lube, cast iron cylinder sleeve (rest appears to be aluminum), but it's direct drive, not belt drive. Price is $360 which includes a couple air tools and oil.

I'm wondering if the fact it's an IR is enough to make up for it not being belt driven and full cast iron pump. I found nothing googling this model, so any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks,

Dave Miller

Upon closer inspection, it appears this model has the same motor and pump setup as IR's twin stack portable compressor, and it says made in Italy on the pump.

So, if anyone is familiar with the IR Twin Stack, that would also help me with my decision. Thanks!

Twin stack? Are you talking about one like this? I bought this used with a burn't motor about five years ago. with A new motor and a "Solberg" filter, this has given me good service. I put one of those HF auto drains on it, and use it most every day. I ended up as the bicycle tire filling station for most of the kids in the neighborhood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jim, thanks for replying. Actually I think yours is a twin piston. I should clarify that the compressor I'm considering has a similar direct drive motor/pump set up to this model:

http://air.irco.com/IS/product.asp/item/12947

Main difference is the one I'm looking at has the tall vertical tank and wheels of their garage mate compressor.

Thanks!

david, ir has several lines of compressors, are you shoping for a compressor to air up tires or run air tools and/or paint equipment? i`d be happy to offer advice but not knowing more than i do it`s dificult...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    david, ir has several lines of compressors, are you shoping for a compressor to air up tires or run air tools and/or paint equipment? i`d be happy to offer advice but not knowing more than i do it`s dificult...02 tod
    Hi, Tod. I'd like to run air tools, pretty much limited to nailers and the like. I like quality machines and after a bad experience with a CH oil free, I decided an oil lubed one would be better for me. Some portability would be nice, but I'm not concerned about carrying to a job site, just up from the basement occasionally if I'm putting in some crown.

Don't know about paint, I don't envision it now. I don't see running other things like impact wrenches or air sanders, either.

In my research the mechanical things that seem important are cast iron oil lubed pump, belt drive to run slower, cooler, and last longer, and a good motor with an honest HP rating. This compressor has those things except for the cast iron sleeve, but is that a big deal for a weekend hobbyist like me?

I'm a little nervous since nobody's heard of this model, and I can't find anything about it on a Google search. Guess I should listen to the little voice in the back of my head and hold off...