Thread: Plywood for Furniture--Philly Source?

Plywood for Furniture--Philly Source?

I'm trying to build some free-standing cabinets about 64" high. The sides and back will be visible, but I'd like to make them from nominal 3/4" plywood. What kind of plywood can I find that's more than 64" long, flat, void-free and has one nice side? (That's not asking too much, eh? )

Would the answer change if I was going to paint both sides?

Bonus points to anyone who can tell me where I can buy this stuff within about an hour's drive from Philly, PA. Thanks in advance for your help.
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Try beatty lumber in upper darby pa. 6107891534 . tell them what you need I am sure they can get it , I belive they stock birch ply it will be pricey! george</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Can't help with Philly info but

why not call a wholesaler for pricing on cabinet-grade good-one-side conventional plywood - pick your venner and off you go.

I do know BB can be bought in all kinds of oddball sizes.
    That's in Toronto and I'm going to assume you'd have WAY more options in the US...

BUT -
    if you're going for paint -
    I'm sure there's gonna be plenty of people upset with me -
    why not go for MDF?

If you're designing for a lean look - solid sides - no panels - it might be too heavy.

BUT -
    if you're going for a frame and panel look, I can show you a FOOL-PROOF method of HUGE stability and strength and adding visual detail with frame and panel where the REAL purpose is to lighten the whole project...

If you're interested, please fell free to e-mail me.

HTH
    Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

John,
    I haven't been up there yet, but I have heard good things about Industrial Plywood in Reading (south side).

http://www.industrialplywood.com/

Wes

John,
    I sent you a PM.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Hi John

You have at least three choices of which I am aware, although none of them are in Philly itself. In Quakertown, there is CH Briggs. In Reading you have Industrial and Russell Plywood. I have dealt with all three. CH Briggs requires that you open an account with them, and while they are very friendly and helpful, their plywood division stinks for efficiency. They recently started requiring that all orders be called in ahead of time so that "they would be able to efficiently handle all orders and not have to stop to pick orders for walk ins". Right. The past couple of times, I have called my order in, given a time when I will arrive, and while my order is sitting on the desk, no one has done anything about picking it. The last time it was a good thing, as they tried to saddle me with some damaged pieces.

Just yesterday I called Russell Plywood for some Baltic birch and thin MDF. They said come on down right away. By the time I got there, not only was it ready, it was wrapped in cardboard and banded. I guess they could have stuck me with damaged goods, but they did not. All this happened while they were busy with a tractor trailer in the dock as well.

Industrial has been very pleasant to deal with as well.

Another thing CH Briggs has going for them is that you can buy lots of fasteners, drawer slides, and other things like that out of their catalog. I do not mean to run them down (too much) but their plywood dept needs a kick in the pants.

All three have a website presence.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Rosenberg
    if you're going for a frame and panel look...
    Hi, Howard. I'm always looking for a better way. I tried to PM or email you, but wasn't able to. Please see my user profile and send me an email if you don't mind. Thanks in advance.
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart