Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elm Bowl

Cecil I may be able to slip a bigger lathe by the SWMBO but she still carries the check book.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice job on the bowl, Bernie. You appear to be a natural.

And think CREDIT CARD for the BIG new lathe.............
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Great work Bernie! You're reminding me how lousy I am at bowls!!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

4. I won't get into the argument about mayo or mustard, I have neither... But it looks as if you are ready for a larger machine. Nice work Bernie.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Bernie, how big is it at this stage? I wonder if anyone knows how stable this wood is and how much warp you will have to deal with when it is dry. I think a good oil finish like tung oil will not be harmed with popcorn oil. The bowl looks good to me. I like the lip because if you eat buttered popcorn your hands will be greasey and the lip will prevent the bowl from slipping out of your hands, good thinking.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

6. REALLY nice bowl, that wood is VERY similar to the wood that I've just harvested. The grain is SUPER nice isn't it

Cheers!

Great one Bernie ! I think you have the hang of this spinny stuff !
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Very nice Bernie. I can see that you're getting more comfortable at the lathe and your skill is improving as well. Most Excellent. Now....let's make sure our tools are sharp and let's try to thin those walls just a bit more. If you're like me, making thin walls will be nerve-racking. I guess I'm always afraid of blowing out a potential bowl.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl
    Cecil I may be able to slip a bigger lathe by the SWMBO but she still carries the check book.
    Bernie,

Now days, the price difference between the 1442 and the PM 3520 is well worth the extra money. Just trust me on this one.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Thanks again. Yes Dennis the walls will be thinner but I did get me one of those double ended calipers. I did use them on this bowl to get a pretty consistant 3/4" from the top to the bottom of the bowl. I hope they help when I go to finish this thing so I don't end up with another funnel.

Glenn it is 8 1/2" across the top and about 3" or so deep. The first one I did with Elm did not move as much as I thought if would. I will take some pictures when dry and let you know.

John H. who are you trying to kid. I am hoping I can get pretty close to some of the stuff you do.
    Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl
    Bernie, remember it always easier to beg for forgiveness than it is for permission.
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    I wasn't born in the mountains, but I got here as fast as I could!

I guess I better leave that one alone Andy.
    Last edited by Rich Stewart; 02-18-2006 at 1:51 PM.

Bernie,

Great Bowl! That's going to look nice when you finish it. Hope it's soon. Good workmanship.
    Be Blessed!

Bernie, That is a really nice bowl. One of my co-workers casually mentioned that she was going to have to have a elm tree (about 3 feet across at the base) that was growing too close to the house removed. She though I was crazy when I told her I would like to have the tree trunk after it has been cut down. If that elm looks as good as yours, and I can do half as good of job, should make some nice bowls.
    Mike

"The only real valuable thing is intuition." - <CITE>Albert Einstein</CITE>

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Forsman
    One of my co-workers casually mentioned that she was going to have to have a elm tree (about 3 feet across at the base) that was growing too close to the house removed. She though I was crazy when I told her I would like to have the tree trunk after it has been cut down. If that elm looks as good as yours, and I can do half as good of job, should make some nice bowls.
    Mike I have found that Elm is actually a pretty wood and we have plenty of them being taken down all the time by tree trimmers so I should have a good stock of it.

Thanks again to everyone for your kind comments.
    Bernie