Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another MM16 Quandary (not Electrical) - SOLVED !!

Another MM16 Quandary (not Electrical) - SOLVED !!

Anybody else run into this on their MM16? Is this normal?

I've been doing a fair amount of bevel cuts lately and to tilt the table down I've been removing the whole lower guide to get it out of the way. The first time I tilted I ran into a problem with the guide interfering with the chassis when I tried to slide it down all the way so I just removed it. I finally took some time today figuring where the problem is. The post for mounting the lower guide assembly to the slotted mounting bar is hitting the frame unless it's pulled forward somewhat. The bar and guides dont seem to stay parallel with the frame throughout it's travel. When lowered down, with the post able to clear the frame,the whole setup seems to be tilted and there's only about 1/32" or so clearance between the back of the post and the frame. The guide setup is drastically different with respect to the blade from what was need when at the height closest to the table. The guide position on the blade With respect to the gullets is maybe almost 3/8" too far back if you set them up in the lowest position then slide the guide all the way up. So any cuts requiring an occasional table tilt also require a complete lower guide re-setup when you try to lower the guide to clear the table.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doug Shepard; 02-25-2006 at 2:21 PM.
    Use the fence Luke

Doug,

Have you contacted Mini Max?

Can you grind off enough to make it work?

I haven't tilted the table on my MM16 yet but i was disappointed in the lower guide design. Using a single bolt in a slotted bar to maintain position and height for the entire lower guide assembly is a real engineering boo boo.

"So any cuts requiring an occasional table tilt also require a complete lower guide re-setup when you try to lower the guide to clear the table."

This very true and they need to remedy it.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Doug, I have the older 14 1/4" resaw capacity MM16 and from looking at your pictures I can't tell what you are hitting when you tilt the table, however I just went to the shop and snapped a couple of pics of the lower bearings on my saw. I don't have a problem tilting, just having to reset the (lowered) bearings before I tilt the table.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

I did email Erik Loza @ MM, but don't expect to hear anything back til Monday. So far (knock on wood) at least I haven't had anymore mysterious instances of the saw not turning on still after the switch replacement.
    Cecil - your guides look to be the same as mine - the black post to the right of the thrust bearing is hitting on the backside just to the right of the U-shaped cutout channel. I can get it to clear but not without tilting the whole setup toward your camera viewpoint as I lower it, and that's what throws the whole setup way off. I can't really grind it shorter as the whole length of the post is needed for adjustment when it's all the way down - at least with the current engineering faux pas. Sounds like both you and Brian have resigned yourself to needing to do the whole guide re-setup when moving them up/down. So at least I know this isn't a problem with my particular saw. I guess I really expected something better on a saw of this caliber.
    Use the fence Luke

Doug,

Any fix for this problem yet? I was told that there was but since I don't own an mm16 yet I don't know how to explain it.

I have the same problem...

I have the same problem with the "newer" 4.8hp MM16......I dread
    reading posts on this unit......electrical issues, customer service?, this current issue, some vibration issues, the bottom door hitting back wheel when removing larger blades issue......hmmmmmmm. If someone hears
    from MM about a fix, please let me know!

Phil

PhilWinnDMD@Fastmail.fm

The home grinder seems to be involved in a lot of MiniMax bandsaw fixes!

Guys I do not see the problem here. The MM saws are the only ones (as far as I know in the saws I have used) that allow the lower blade guide to be positioned directly under the table, I sure could not do that with my Agazzani. So what if you have to lower the guide and readjust it when you tilt the table, tilting the table is not a regular occurance and if you are then just deal with. You should be readjusting you guide for every blade and guide adjustment anyway.

I noticed this when I was cleaning and setting up my MM16. I haven't had to tilt yet, but I figure when I do, I'll just make an incline table to put on top.

I also still haven't ground out that little part of the telescoping sleeve that prevents you from getting the rear guide right up to the blade when using 1/4" or narrower. Its always something...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

here`s a novel idea...if a person is tilting the table on a regular basis why not place the guides in the lowered position and leave them there? .02 tod
    Last edited by tod evans; 02-21-2006 at 6:31 PM.
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Lapinel
    Doug,

Any fix for this problem yet? I was told that there was but since I don't own an mm16 yet I don't know how to explain it.
    I'm working on a home-brew fix that involves rare-earth magnets, wood, some voodoo incantations, and a Farrah Fawcett centerfold. Still waiting for the mags to show up. I'll let you know how it works.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    here`s a novel idea...if a person is tilting the table on a regular basis why not place the guides in the lowered position and leave them there? .02 tod
    Tod, The reason why this wouldn't be good is that the lower guides would be further away from the table and would not support the blade as well. That's the one thing good about the bearings being so close to the underside of the table: great blade support.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Umm, he said "if a person is tilting the table on a regular basis"...meaning that you would have to give up the better support in order to allow for the tilting. If you are not tilting the table frequently, then by all means put it in the top position.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky
    Tod, The reason why this wouldn't be good is that the lower guides would be further away from the table and would not support the blade as well. That's the one thing good about the bearings being so close to the underside of the table: great blade support.
    alan, most of the larger saws i`ve driven deliberately place the lower guide assembly away from the table to permit easy tilting,and don`t give you the option of moving them close as the centuro saws do....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.