Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly 0490 Jointer problems

Grizzly 0490 Jointer problems

I ordered a G0490 jointer before Christmas. It was shipped on Feb.6. I received a phone call from FedEx on Feb 7 and set up delivery for Feb 10 in the afternoon. I paid for liftgate service on the jointer. Friday came and no word on the jointer delivery. I called FedEx about three in the afternoon and was told that it was on the truck and they would have the driver call me. No call from the driver. It was again on the truck on Monday and not delivered nor did I receive any phone calls. On Tuesday I called FedEx again and a gentleman there said it was on the truck again and he would get ahold of the driver. Apparently he did because in about an hour the driver called. Discussed it with the driver and decided that it was too chancy for him to bring his 18 wheeler to the house. No surprise there, this has happened before and was one of the reasons for paying for liftgate service so if it had to be offloaded on a trailer or pickup it would be easier.
    Met the driver at the designated time and place with a trailer and we off loaded the two packages to the trailer without liftgate service. No punctures or detectable damage. The cardboard box looked like it had been in a warehouse for months but I assumed that was because it had been on the truck for delivery for three days and obviously had been moved around a lot on the truck.

Unpacked the cardboard box and detected that the front panel was not flush on both sides. OK on the right side but bowed in about 3/16 to 3/8" on the left side. Shouldn't be that way I thought. So called Grizzly customer service and they agreed to send a new front panel replacement. Later removed the back panel so that I would be able to get to the motor pulley. Discovered that the back vertical struct that holds the motor mount was not straight but bowed approximently 3/8". Therefore the two pulleys could not be made coplaner. Called Grizzly the next morning and notified them about the problem. Had a call from a man in
    Grizzly customer service yesterday morning who asked if I would be satisfied with the replacement of the welded cabinet and I would remove the motor from the damaged cabinet and put it in the new cabinet. I agreed.

Did not hear anything from Grizzly today so just called CS. The records in Customer Service indicate that the Grizzly freight department has notified the carrier about the reported damage. I am not convinced that the damage is due to the carrier but may have occured prior to shipment since the sides of the cardboard box did not show severe compression or punctures.

I am one very unhappy camper at the moment and feel that Grizzly has not responded properly.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Norman
    I ordered a G0490 jointer before Christmas. It was shipped on Feb.6. I received a phone call from FedEx on Feb 7 and set up delivery for Feb 10 in the afternoon. I paid for liftgate service on the jointer. Friday came and no word on the jointer delivery. I called FedEx about three in the afternoon and was told that it was on the truck and they would have the driver call me. No call from the driver. It was again on the truck on Monday and not delivered nor did I receive any phone calls. On Tuesday I called FedEx again and a gentleman there said it was on the truck again and he would get ahold of the driver. Apparently he did because in about an hour the driver called. Discussed it with the driver and decided that it was too chancy for him to bring his 18 wheeler to the house. No surprise there, this has happened before and was one of the reasons for paying for liftgate service so if it had to be offloaded on a trailer or pickup it would be easier.
    Met the driver at the designated time and place with a trailer and we off loaded the two packages to the trailer without liftgate service. No punctures or detectable damage. The cardboard box looked like it had been in a warehouse for months but I assumed that was because it had been on the truck for delivery for three days and obviously had been moved around a lot on the truck.

Unpacked the cardboard box and detected that the front panel was not flush on both sides. OK on the right side but bowed in about 3/16 to 3/8" on the left side. Shouldn't be that way I thought. So called Grizzly customer service and they agreed to send a new front panel replacement. Later removed the back panel so that I would be able to get to the motor pulley. Discovered that the back vertical struct that holds the motor mount was not straight but bowed approximently 3/8". Therefore the two pulleys could not be made coplaner. Called Grizzly the next morning and notified them about the problem. Had a call from a man in
    Grizzly customer service yesterday morning who asked if I would be satisfied with the replacement of the welded cabinet and I would remove the motor from the damaged cabinet and put it in the new cabinet. I agreed.

Did not hear anything from Grizzly today so just called CS. The records in Customer Service indicate that the Grizzly freight department has notified the carrier about the reported damage. I am not convinced that the damage is due to the carrier but may have occured prior to shipment since the sides of the cardboard box did not show severe compression or punctures.

I am one very unhappy camper at the moment and feel that Grizzly has not responded properly.

Howard
    I feel your pain and for some reason a song keeps going around in my head.... THINGS THAT MAKE YOU SAY HMMMMMMMM.

Points well taken. I would just send it back and get another one.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

I am truly sorry Howard. As you know there are quite a few of us on this forum waiting for our units to arrive, in fact mine is to be delivered on Monday. Overnight is delivering mine. I do not know what to exect because the same location, a few weeks ago, was called Roadway and one of my deliverys sat there a week and a half waiting for them to fix a truck with a lift gate to deliver it twenty five miles away. UPS, I understand, took over Overnight and they must have aquired this Roadway terminal as the address is the same and I talked to the same persons about the delivery. It is going to be real interesting.

In any case you must have inherited my bad luck as my Delta drill press came yesterday and it looked like that it had just been packaged. Not a spot on it and the contents were perfect. It was delivered by ABF. Usually I have your kind of luck. Sorry about that. !!!!!!

Allen

Tell them to take that one back and send you a new one. Why pay $800 for something that you have to fix? They owe you that, and they also need to expedite the order. I could see them giving you the run around about it being a couple months for one to become available.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 02-20-2006 at 4:30 PM. Reason: deleted a blatent vendor bashing statement - policy violation

Quote Originally Posted by John Kain
    Tell them to take that one back and send you a new one. Why pay $800 for something that you have to fix? They owe you that, and they also need to expedite the order. I could see them giving you the run around about it being a couple months for one to become available.
    I agree. New or used, if you pay top dollar for something, it had better work. I paid in excess of market value for my tenoner only to find some interior issue.... issues that took me about 2 years part time to finally work out. In my case, I had no recourse. In your case, its new and you do. You bought a brand new machine, then take delivery of a brand new machine.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 02-20-2006 at 4:31 PM.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

6. Go490

Howard,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I am sure that Grizzly will take care of you, just hang in there. How is the rest of the machine? I am sure that once Papa Griz see this thread your troubles will be solved. As for the thread who said "Any crap from Grizzly at all and I'd tell them to keep the machine and you'll have fun working on your new Yorkie, Powermatic, Jet....etc....etc." I have read a few horror stories about them as well.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Disorbo
    Howard,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I am sure that Grizzly will take care of you, just hang in there. How is the rest of the machine? I am sure that once Papa Griz see this thread your troubles will be solved.
    Michael
    I said that. Maybe came out a little harsher than I wanted it to. The meaning was that Grizzly should remedy the situation without any hiccup. Like said previously, I think Griz will fix your problem in short order.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 02-20-2006 at 4:32 PM.

Howard, sorry to hear about your problems. My G0490 is fine with no problems. I'm sure Grizzly will make good on your problem, they have for me in the past. My table saw took a beating during shippment they replaced all the broken parts, But afterwords they still offered to replace the saw if I wasn't satisfied. Hope things work out for you, Keep us posted on the developments.

Ok now I am concerned. As I mentioned in my original review the vertical struts holding my motor mounts were very noticably bent (not 90 degrees). It seemed to be an even bend and both stuts seemed to be bent the same amount so I did not think much about it. The top of the base seemed to be level. Is this something that may be a problem and I should contact Grizz about?

John,

I think that I remember you saying something about that when you first got yours.

I will not have mine until Monday so cannot actually look and see but looking at the downloaded manual under "To install the V-belt" they look straight but hard to tell. Not much help in the parts section either. It sure does look like light weight material that they are made out of.

When I built my bandsaw base I built that part out of angle iron and you could not bend them with a sledge hammer. If they are as weak as they appear I might do the same thing in this case.

I hope that the rest of the unit is built more substantially!

Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 02-18-2006 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hedges
    Ok now I am concerned. As I mentioned in my original review the vertical struts holding my motor mounts were very noticably bent (not 90 degrees). It seemed to be an even bend and both stuts seemed to be bent the same amount so I did not think much about it. The top of the base seemed to be level. Is this something that may be a problem and I should contact Grizz about?
    I think it's worth calling them and asking them if that is per design. Maybe they could also look at several and see if some are straight and some are bent. Also, those of us who ordered one of these should, during setup, make note of what our struts look like and report back. From Russ's post, sounds like his struts are fine, which would make me concerned that bent ones are a defect. Nothing like beta testing, eh?

good advice Russ. Think I will give them a call. One thing about Grizzly, their CS seems great as long as you give them a chance.

13. Lot of money for a used machine

I'm not sure why you are not requesting a replacement jointer? That's a lot of money for a new machine that you're never going to be quite as happy to own as you would have been one that was new when it arrived. Just my $0.02 worth.
    Steven

I was thinking about you problem last night Howard. I think that the fact that the motor is already bolted to the frame may have caused the frame to bend.If that box is droped on it's side just from the weight of the motor would be enough to bend the frame. I think I would ask to have the lower cabinet replaced.Without the motor of course. My .02.

Russ

John, I used a 48" level and did not detect any signigicent problem with the top of my cabinet either. The problem is that only the back one is not straight. I suspose that if both of them were deflected the same amount the pulleys could then be coplanar. Can you drop a plumb bob at both edges of the pulleys to see if they are coplanar? Not having my assembled I don't know if this is feasable or not.

Howard