Thread: Tormek Question

Tormek Question

I finally got a chance to try out my new Tormek system (stealth gloat). Jeff's videos were very helpful and over the course of three days, I managed to sharpen every chisel I have.

Here's my question: now that all my chisels are sharp, what do I do to put the edge back on when they get dull? Grind on 1,000 grit, hone on the leather wheel, or both?

BTW, the edge is so nice the tool gleams like a mirror. Made my beaters look like a Frank Klausz chisel. And very, very sharp. I know, because I nicked myself so many times, I could barely type for two days after.

Jack

P.S. Next, I'm going to try my turning tools. I've seen some of the posts in the Turner's Forum so hopefully I'll be able to duplicate my success. It does seem a little more complicated, however....

Jack, I have found that you can bring your edge back just by going back to the leather wheel. I will do this until it just don't feel right and then I go back to the stone, even then it don't take but a few minutes to reclaim the edge.
    David

Always hone when you have the choice...you want to restore the edge, not grind off more metal if you don't have to. Also consider using some waterstones at higher "grits" before final honing on the leather...1000 is pretty coarse. I consider it a starting point and do 1000-4000-8000 for my chisels and plane irons. IMHO. (And as David says, hit the leather to restore the edge from that point until you feel you really need to revisit the wheel, etc.)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jack,
    Be careful going back to "straight" blades (chisels and plane irons) after doing a bunch of turning tools. It is difficult to wear the stone evenly doing gouges, so use the stone truing tool when you go back to chisels.

DAMHIKT

Mark

Jack,

Just go back to the powered leather strop on the Tormek and use the honing paste that came with the Tormek. I believe that around 6000 grit and will do just fine on getting your edge back to sharp without having to regrind.

Next? Sharpen the LOYL's kitchen knives and sewing scissors!!!! She'll really love you for that.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Jack, I use the tormek to grind and replace the coarser stones. I always give the blade a few swipes on a 6000 and 8000 grit water stone after I'm done with the tormek. When I need to touch up the blade, I go back to those stones and continue the process until the hollow grind is almost gone. Then I do the whole thing over. I don't think you want to grind every time you need to sharpen or you will wear your irons and chisels really quickly.
    Dennis