Thread: Looking For Web Site Showing "Shaker" Styled Furniture

Looking For Web Site Showing "Shaker" Styled Furniture

Hi Everyone, I would like some Ideas on different styles of older pine or hardwood furniture ,Dressers ,Hutch & Buffet's etc. thought maybe someone out there might have come across a book or good web site ....Thanks ...Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Reinsma
    Hi Everyone, I would like some Ideas on different styles of older pine or hardwood furniture ,Dressers ,Hutch & Buffet's etc. thought maybe someone out there might have come across a book or good web site ....Thanks ...Rick
    Hi Rick. I did a search on Amazon, and they have a good deal of books on Shaker style, including measurements and blueprints, that are reasonably priced. Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/048...Fencoding=UTF8

Happy hunting!!
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Rick ,try "The Shaker Legacy" by Christian Beecksvort or "Mostly Shaker" by Norm Abram.

So many choices out there from books, etc., as already mentioned. In the Shaker Style is a good book from Taunton...but also look at web sites like Thos Moser for some "Shaker style" ideas.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I highly recommend the book by Christian on the Shaker Legacy, excellent historical and pictoral resouce. His site is http://www.chbecksvoort.com/
    and he is one of the only craftsman accepted by the shakers for restoration and reproduction work for their colonies and museums.
    Now if we could all demand the $$$ he gets for his craftsmanship
    Matt Tawes
    Chesapeake Woodcraft

Thanks guy's ..That CH Becksvoort fella sure seems to be the cabinet maker we all wish we could be. You don't see to many peices of furniture with dovetail and sliding dovetails on cabinet top moldings in order to allow for wood movement...A real work of art..Thanks guys for the web site

Becksvoort has some excellent links on his site that Matt linked to above.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    but also look at web sites like Thos Moser for some "Shaker style" ideas.
    The Thos. Moser catalog is a good reference too. I'm sure they have all the same pictures on the web, but its just not the same.

If you have a good bookstore by you, there are several Shaker books available. "In The Shaker Style" is excellent as is "The Shaker Legacy" which is not a woodworking book but has tons of pictures.

The Pleasant Hill shaker village in Kentucky has a web site here. which has a few pictures.

Actually, Matt...I forgot to mention the book that I've build a number of projects from...Thos. Moser's Measured Shop Drawings for American Furniture .
    --

Try running a web search on build+shaker+style in Google.

There are several sites that have pictures of the various stages of building the furniture.

There are some sites that you can download the plans in pdf format, one of them is a Taunton site from FWW, and the plans are free. That one is a CH Becksvoort project.

Others you have to order them, but you can download immediately.

Have fun. Right now it's too cold in my garage to finish my shaker hall table, so I enjoyed doing that. I'm thinking about making a mantle clock.
    Every morning I seize the day - but I lose my grip when I grab my coffee. <*//><