Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowl gouge

Bowl gouge

How about a short tutorial on the appropriate use of the bowl gouge. It seems no matter which way I hold mine it runnnnns through the wood. I not having a good time with it. I'm just not getting it thru trial and error. More error than anything else
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

If you have a Woodcraft in your area, you might be able to talk them into a private lesson on the use of the tool. Mine did it for me.

Good luck.

George

May I suggest Bill Grumbine's video? Ok...I just did. It covers the bowl gouge pretty nicely. You can also contact your "local" AAW chapter to see about some mentoring or a Woodcraft as George mentions. Nothing beats hands-on instruction in turning or at least a good video when the former isn't possible.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Been eyeing Bill's video. Right now my wife says my turning funds are depleted. Seems she said something about a flat work project to be done.

What type of grind you have on your bowl gouge Jim?
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Jim it's not that Irish grind type of thingy. It's a standard off the shelf Henry Taylor 3/8 bowl gouge. I've done nothing to it except buff the grind with 800 grit paper. A grinding jig is on my list of things to build or buy.

I don't have the answer you want Jim. But I do have two suggestions. I prefer learning by book, although some day I may take my bad habits to a class. See if the library has a book or two on this subject. And, if you want free wood to practice with, stop by our lot Saturday morning and there is plenty of free chunks of no-name species for the taking.

I had an invitation to visit today. Passed as you know it was 5 degrees. I'll try the video route in the not to distant future. My wife hates to see me in a bad mood over a tool I can't seem to figure out. She also is looking forward to a bowl or two.

bowl gouge

I think the whole bowl gouge thing is snob appeal. The turning club I'm in invites so called pros to demonstrate and I've personally seen 3 of them dump their demo projects on the floor with bowl gouges. They seem to work great when they work but the difficulty level seems to be where your chances of getting thru a project without a fatal mishap are low.

It's a Personal preference on what grind to use, and lots of practice using it till you get good consistent cuts. I find most out of the pack grinds to be very aggressive unless its a sweptback grind like the Ellsworth Gouge or similar. I like the swept back grind and use my own style grind, but mine is a little different than most people use.
    Like I said get a swept back gouge or grind it yourself and practice, practice, practice.
    we all started out the same way if self taught, just hang in there, you will get it!

Now without seeing your grind and how you should hold the handle about the only thing I can tell you is to try and keep the bevel rubbing through your cut.
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim Ketron; 02-18-2006 at 9:13 PM.
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Thanks for all the responses. I'll have to practice when I get, dare I say, a flat work project done. Maybe I can sneak a little turning in as well

Jim - Here's my .02

Bowl grind profiles are like noses. They all smell, but some do so better than others. That said, I encourage you to try an Ellsworth Grind - Irish Grind - Ketron Grind - Grumbine Grind - or even a Hoyt Grind. I've seen 'em all and an unskilled eye can't tell a significant difference between them.

Until I tried it I had a hell of a time when I went bowling.

Here's a couple of pics to help. Fingernail on left and Irish on the right

fingernail grind.jpg ellsworth grind.jpg

In an unskilled - yet eager to learn hand - the Irish Grind makes for a most pleasing experience.
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 02-18-2006 at 9:27 PM.
    Only the Blue Roads

My hands are unskilled with that particular lathe tool. In fact it wants to get out of my unskilled hands so bad it tries to throw itself over my shoulder, with the bowl.

When I get my grinder set up I'll try some different type of grinds to see what I like and can use effectively. So far my easiest tool to use is the Sorby hollowing tool. As I've said before it is one sweeeeeeeet tool.

Jim - Your lack of a grinder has escaped my notice til just now. Trying to get an edge with sandpaper might work in very skilled hands but I just don't think it pays off in the long haul. Wait for your grinder to arrive, set it up with jigs or systems, and enjoy. Making a successful and satisfying cut with a bowl gouge is only possible with a properly prepared edge.

And when you get that thing set up, remind us that you'd like a primer on the use of the gouge. This thread seems to have veered away from your original request.
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 02-18-2006 at 9:40 PM.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mcintire
    I think the whole bowl gouge thing is snob appeal. The turning club I'm in invites so called pros to demonstrate and I've personally seen 3 of them dump their demo projects on the floor with bowl gouges. They seem to work great when they work but the difficulty level seems to be where your chances of getting thru a project without a fatal mishap are low.
    Don't mean to be disagreeable Dave, but I think a lot of things besides
    the bowl gouge is to blame for most Fatal mishaps. First thing that comes
    to mind is a tool that is not as sharp as it should be, then of course
    there's correctly presenting the tool to the wood, finding the cut &
    riding the bevel thru the cut..that of course for me was the hardest
    thing to learn by myself with no tutor to help. I've tried all kinds of
    grinds and still haven't found the perfect grind for me, but I rarely
    ever have a Fatal mishap because of a bowl gouge, If I have one
    I can almost always blame me & not the gouge because I know
    it's sharp & the grind is fine! JMHO