Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bowl gouge

Andy, I do in fact have a grinder. I just haven't had time to make or purchase a jig for sharpening as yet. I was going to copy a system made by JeanMichael but regretably he has passed on and his domain is closed for now.

I really can't let SWMBO see me working on round projects as I have just started a flat work project for her. She wouldn't understand it was my fix for the day.

On another note. Back in the day I would hand sharpen and configure all my lathe cutters/tools by hand. I knew what I could and could not do along those lines. I would never sharpen a drill for example as we had jigs and machines for those operations. Lathe tools were another subject as most of our work was one of a kind and required injenuity to complete the project.

Jim
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Jim I will second what Andy said. He put me onto the Irish grind and it has worked wonders for me. I took my regular bowl gouge and put the Irish grind on it. I like it a lot better than the regular bowl gouge. It is especially a lot easier doing the inside of a bowl with the Irish grind. So my 3/8" and 1/2" bowl gouges have that grind. As Andy told me, once the tools are sharp you have to find the sweet spot for each tool. Once you do turning will be like night and day.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hey! Don't listen to me. Listen to Bernie!

Folks, I just had a great phone conversation with Jim. He's gonna make a homemade wolverine type setup and do the Irish Grind thing.

Everyone needs to start praying for the trees in St. Louis because he's gonna git 'er done.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Hey! Don't listen to me. Listen to Bernie!

Folks, I just had a great phone conversation with Jim. He's gonna make a homemade wolverine type setup and do the Irish Grind thing.

Everyone needs to start praying for the trees in St. Louis because he's gonna git 'er done.
    Alright Jim, sounds like the right thing to do. I had watched the Bill G. video and then bought the Ellsworth gouge. That grind has worked great for me. I haven't dumped any bowls and I'm certainly no pro. I did get a catch when I had the tool rest too low, but since then have sent shavings over my shoulder with no problems. Well... my dog who usually sits somewhere behind me finall got tired of being pelted with the curly things and left the shop.

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Nyvall
    Well... my dog who usually sits somewhere behind me finall got tired of being pelted with the curly things and left the shop.

Ernie
    Mine got tired of ducking the bowls and other hollow items. He left in quite a hurry, with a mouth full of chips, muttering something about hiding these exotic wood turnings
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day