Thread: Dust collection for bench grinder

Dust collection for bench grinder

Just bought a Delta 8" bench grinder and of course the dust ports are a different size than everything else I own. Anyone know where I can get 1 3/4" ID hose and a reducer or tee that goes from 1 3/4" ID to 2 1/2" so I can connect it to my shop vac? There are 2 ports (1 for each wheel) and I'd like to connect them with a tee and then to the shop vac.
    Steven

Grinder dust collection?????

Steven,

I would not even consider hooking up a grinder to my shop vac or the dust collector. The last thing I want is a hot fragment of steel mixing with the saw dust in either! I will grant you that most of the grindings are not that hot by the time they reach the vac tank or dust collector, but why chance it? I'll just clean up around the grinder after I'm through.

Bob

One thing I have found helpful for connecting different size collection components are what are called in the Plumbing Trade "No Hub Connectors". Some also refer to these connectors as Fernco's, as Fernco is a company that produces these, among others. These are Rubber Sleeve type couplings that are made for connecting PVC, Cast Iron or even Copper pipe together. They utilize stainless Hose Clamps on either end to secure them to the pipe. They are available with or without a metal sleeve that covers the rubber. Mostly, the ones with the metal sleeve or for pressure situations, to keep the rubber from bulging under pressure. These type cost more, and are not necessary for dust collection applications These are available in various sizes, and are even available to couple 2 pipes of different sizes, like you would use a bell reducer for with Black Iron Pipe. They are available at most good hardware stores, and I know the big box stores have them also. There are also several different sizes of Dust Collector fittings available to accomplish the same thing. Grizzly has a decent selection of reducer fittings that may work for you. Many of the other Woodworking Supply companies offer these also, so you can check around. I have used the Fernco's to couple the port of my jointer to a fitting that connects to my 4" Dust Collector hose, and it works just fine. The nice thing about these rubber fittings are they can be stretched a little to fit the sometimes odd sizes of plastic Dust Collection Fittings.

Hello Steven,

I'm with Bob on this one. I wouldn't even think of sucking up the sparks from a grinding wheel. I'm sure that there are systems that will work for this, but I just wait until they are cooled off and use the shop vac to clean up around the grinder.

Just my way... ymmv :-)

Dave

What about going to a heating and ac shop and having a metal box fabed that you could sit behind the grinder to catch most of the grindings and dust? Would be fireproof, and just empty it out ocassionally. My 2 cents, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steven J Corpstein
    Just bought a Delta 8" bench grinder and of course the dust ports are a different size than everything else I own.
    That's a good thing...you shouldn't be connecting your grinder to either your shop vac or your dust collector. Those ports are really only useful for recovery of "expensive metals", such as in jewelry making. Hooking them up to your vac or DC could result in you burning down your shop! If anything, close them off so that they don't spew sparks in places behind the grinder when working on non-HSS.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm convinced

Sounds like the overwhelming consensus is to let it fly rather than collect it, and I'd have to agree now reading the replies. Thanks for kicking me in the head and waking me up. I'm just going to drag the grinder out in the middle of my shop, grind my stuff, then vacuum up afterward. Thanks for all of the replies.
    Steven

If you really want dust collection for your grinder Baldor makes a couple of units, one for wheels under 10" diameter. A bit pricey but probably worth it if you're grinding metal a lot.