Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The abyss busted my budget........or how I

The abyss busted my budget........or how I

spent Saturday........

Beautiful sunny but cold Saturday here......What you say.....A new Woodcraft store opened in Spokane?..............That's only 110 miles away......Road trip..........Road trip..........

My neighbor and I left town about 1030 and arrived at the new Woodcraft store in Spokane about 1:00 pm after a pit stop enroute.

So many toys..........so little money.........Hey....that's what they make those little plastic cards for so.......................

I added to my collection........an extention bed for my Jet Mini VS.....now it'
    ll turn salmon bonkers out to 40 inches long!

A diamond grinder truing tool for my Wolverine grinder jig...........

A metal stand for the grinder.................

an angle gauge for gauging the grind on gouges, etc.

A set of calipers to be used just for turning............

A plastic centerfinder.......................

I ran over my turning budget and got into my shop budget...................

A photo is included to satisfy the Photo Cops!........

Round trip travel .........about 240 miles......saw over 40 whitetail deer, over 200 elk, over 40 wild turkeys, over 30 hawks.........sun shining snow on the ground.........beautiful blue sky..........northern Idaho mountains and farm land..........

I got to hold real bowl gouges in my hands and compare them to spindle gouges.........got to see some real turning tools! I lust ........I lust! Forgive me please!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Sounds like you had a real good time, Ken. Isn't Woodcraft the happiest place on earth?

George

That is super Ken. Great gloat. The center finder will serve you well. Now make some chips.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Woah...he's out of control..LOL! Congrats, all great and useful tools! have fun!

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    ...I lust ........I lust! Forgive me please!
    I'm just so proud of you Ken!!! Quite a haul. Don't worry about the Shop budget....you don't need it....Might well transfer the balance now over to the lathe.

Wow...Sounds like a beautiful day in my favorite place!!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Bernie...........My grinder shipped Wednesday for a Tuesday delivery. Those tools were getting so dull.......that intermittantly they pull or gouge out large areas of wood. I tried using a stone on them. I could true up the edges a little but they weren't as sharp as they need to be. I'll try again in the morning on some wet maple I have stashed. I can't wait for that grinder to get here. Like Stu........I'm getting antsy!

I really enjoyed looking at the various tools at Woodcraft! It's one thing to look at pictures but they don't compare to placing a bowl gouge beside a spindle gouge and saying.....Yup ....I understand the difference! It was also a chance to see part of a pen turning demonstration. I may rethink my attitude towards turning pens.....We'll see?
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-18-2006 at 10:21 PM.
    Ken

Nice haul Ken, If the plastic doesen't hold out just post some flat
    tools over in classifieds!! You don't need most of that stuff anymore
    anyway!!!

Completely KER-SUCKED into the vortex.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Ken, it didn't take long did it. So, as one of the newest to the dark side, what was it, the exotic curls, or just being sucked into the vortex? Congrats on your new stuff, I'm sure as soon as th eplastic gets recharged you'll be headed back to Spokane.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Cecil.........I don't know what caused it....don't care.....I think it was something to do with the generosity of some special friends?

I called yesterday and checked to make sure that they had the bed extention in stock. I talked with one of the two owners. He told me if I made it up there today (I wasn't sure what the weather would be like today) to ask for him. I got there and told him the story of the BOMBING run! He was thrilled. He introduced me to his son who's also working there. I made future arrangements whereby I could call them, place an order and they'd ship it to me! I can't wait for the grinder. It's the one thing that's keeping me from being out there turning some maple right now......sharp tools....in my humble opinion and based on little experience........it is one of the most important requirements.....
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    I added to my collection........an extention bed for my Jet Mini VS.....now it'
    ll turn salmon bonkers out to 40 inches long!
    ALLLLLL RIGHT KEN!

Perhaps you could start selling them to tourists. I'll bet you could dazzle certain people from Maine and they'd buy several of them not even knowing what they're for or how to use them.

Congrats on the gloat.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Karl.....if you haven't updated your thread..........I'm not talking to you!
    Ken

That 'a boy Ken. That's what its all about. Burn a little gas, drop a little cash. That's what keeps this old world spinning!

Outstanding Ken! You should be getting the feeling that the turning budget trumps all by now.

I share that sentiment....but

Do you guys really have allocated budgets? I'm missing out. I need to work that out with the LOML somehow...she gets the hairdo w/highlights, manicure, pedicure, tanning bed and a maid....that's a good $280/month. But she does do the laundry, shopping, pay the bills, etc.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have a Woodcraft 20 miles, a Rockler 30 miles and Curly Woods 7 miles from my house. Even half of her spending is $140/month....