Thread: Getting started: which lathe?

Getting started: which lathe?

I've been woodworking for about 4 years now, building mostly shop fixtures and jigs , and I'd like to eventually get into turning pens, bowls (small and large), and vases. Will a single lathe do all of these? I'm just dreaming now, but eventually I might be able to spend $500 or so on a lathe, maybe a used one. What features should I be looking for? What books or online articles are recommended?

Andy...I'm not real big on recommending Manufacturers or Model Numbers but I do recommend getting the most horsepower you can. The small stuff can be done on a big lathe but the big stuff can't be done on a small one. I'm limited to about 11-12 inch diameter (depending on the length) and running 2HP. Is $500 the total budget or just for the lathe?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I agree with John in that is $500 just for the lathe? As a new turner myself of about a whole 4 months I wish I had bought a bigger lathe. I have a Delta Midi LA200. It is a great little lathe. You can turn pens, bowls up to 9 1/2" (wish I could go bigger) and with the bed extension a spindle up to 38". I jumped in with both feet and probably have about $800 in this with tools, chucks, safety equipment, etc., etc. I would buy as much lathe as you can afford. You will no doubt get a number of answers as to what to buy. I wish now I had went with a Jet 1442 ($999) which will turn up to 14" bowls or a 1642 ($1799) which will turn up to 16" bowls. Both headstocks swivel on these so you can outboard turn bigger yet. Like John said you can turn small stuff on a big lathe but you can't turn big stuff on a small lathe.

The best advice I can give you is to sit down and figure out what it is you want to turn. How big do you want to turn and then do your research accordingly. There are lathes out there which are good lathes from $169 to $6000 and up. These are just my observations of my situation. You can do a search in the turners forum for lathes and should get a lot of info. Hope this helps.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Andy, we are always thrilled to see new people (like Bernie ) and you won't find a better source for info than here at the creek, IMHO.

I would sugguest that you try to find a local woodturning club and go to a couple of meets. I'm sure that there are some of them who would be glad to let you come by their shops and try out a lathe or two. you should be able to find a club near you at the AAW site (American Association of Woodturners). Hopefully. That way if you could try differant sizes you will get a better idea as to what you can do and what you will need to do it with.

If you can't find a local club, try your local Woodcraft or Rockler stores, they have demonstrations and classes from time to time. Your member location doesn't show where in the country you are so I can't help you with that. Let us know where you are and maybe we can help you find somebody close by.

Oh, by the way................

WARNING! WARNING!Anyone entering the area of woodturning must be warned that they are likely to fall into a black hole or vortex. This will cause all your extra time and money (and even some that's NOT extra) to simply disappear. Scientists who have tried to study this phenomenon have been likewise sucked into this danger zone and no longer have the time or money to continue their research. For this reason we may NEVER know the reason for this. And for most of us, we don't care either.

Again, welcome to the creek and good luck.

John, $500 is just a rough idea of what I could probably spend on a lathe within the next year. I know I'll need some tools and wood in addition, but not sure what to budget for that. Is there anything else I might need for turning bowls?

Bernie, I might be able to find a 14" used lathe? What's the disadvantage of outboard turning, less precision and less safety? Is there a limit on what can be turned outboard by a given lathe, maybe just the weight and balance of the blank?

Pat, I checked and there is a AAW group that meets in the OSU industrial arts facility here in Columbus, OH. And thanks for the warning!

Hi Andy,

You have gotten some great advice here. The reason we are kind of balking at the $500 is because unless you are planning to buy a mini lathe there are few machines new or used that will satisfy you in the long run for that kind of price. The number one reason used lathes are on the market is because of folks wanting to step up to the lathe they really want. There are some great used lathes out there but, few in the $500 range and they are usually snapped up in a heart beat. For a good new lathe that will provide you with the utility that you will want for your stated turning goals expect to spend between $1,500 - $2,500. You could get lucky and find a used jet 1642 for around $800 - $1,200. Lathes tend to hold their value much longer than other power tools.

This doesn't even touch the costs of turning tools and the various accessories you will want or will have to have to do what you want to do. You can easily spend several hundred just getting started. The very best advice you have received so far is from Pat, go get your feet wet at a few meetings or with a class before you jump off the cliff that is turning. Once you make that jump you will be forever looking for more and more turning "stuff" and it gets expensive. I have had as many as 4 lathes at once but, recently cut back to two. However, there is a very cute Oneway 1224 that is at my local Woodcraft store that talks dirty to me every time I walk into the place... (Andy H., can you believe I said that?!?!)

Andy, I'm going to say what another creeker would say since he isn't posting today. Tod, this is for you. Cast iron and horsepower. Buy as big (heavy) as you can and as much HP as you can. Save the money you would spend on working your way up and just do it once.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Andy I can't really comment on outboard turning as the lathe I have now won't. But like on the 1442 Jet you can turn up to 14" inboard and up to 20" outboard. I will have to let someone who turns outboard to answer the safety question. I wouldn't think it would be any less safe than turning some things inboard. By the way the guys are right about the lathe being the cheap thing to start with. I have about $250 in my lathe and $550 in tools, chucks and accessories. So as you can see the lathe is cheap. Also don't worry about wood. Find a tree service and ask them for some logs. Most generally they are happy to give them to you because that is that much less they have to haul off. Oh by the way you will need at least a 18" chainsaw and wouldn't hurt if you had a band saw that has at least a 7" cut. More food for thought.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton
    .... (Andy H., can you believe I said that?!?!)
    Actually, I can Chris. That White Iron has such a sultry yet sweet voice.

Hey Andy F. - I turn outboard quite often and I love it. But my heartfelt recommendation is to find a good strong used beater and experiment for a while. Your own experience coupled with the collective wisdom here will then allow you to make a more informed opinion on what features you really want in a newer machine.
    Only the Blue Roads