Thread: Turning Boxes

Turning Boxes

Since I have turned my first box, I would like to learn how to do more boxes of different styles. The box I did is from watching Raffans video. Are there any of what you would consider great videos or books out there on box turning that anyone would recommend? I don't want to buy a bunch books or video's to find a good one. I prefer a good video. I get more and learn more from watching than reading. Thanks.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

http://www.turnwood.net/projects/how_to_turn_boxes.htm

See if this gives you any new ideas

I was going to suggest the same link. Very informative for new box turners.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Yep...Curt's link is what I referred to, to do my first box a couple weeks ago.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Thanks Curt, Jim and John. That is something I was looking for. I have been looking at Raffans video on boxes and several others. Can't buy them all but hoping to get a couple of good ones.
    Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

If you live close to a Woodcraft store I think they rent videos and DVDs and then you can chose which one you want to buy. If I remember right it's like $3.00 for 2 days at the one close to me.
    Dennis

Closest Woodcraft or any woodworking store is 200 miles. I am out in the flat lands of western kansas. Wish I could though. There are about four out there but just don't know which one would be best. Raffan has one, as does Stott, Roy Key has one and so does Bonnie Klein. I have one of Raffans video's on Turning wood but he steps through stuff a little fast for me. Just thought maybe someone would have had one of them and could give me a idea.

Anyway thanks all. I appreciate it.
    Bernie

Bernie - A while back I watched Ray Key's box making video. I found it most enlightening. I got it from my club, but pretty sure that CSA sells it.
    Only the Blue Roads

Bernie, you've watched Raffins video and now you should read the book. I borrowed the video from our club, was so impressed that I bought the book. the book has pages and pages of photos with differant styles of boxes. Check it out at your local book store. I think you might like it. lots of ideas.

Thanks Andy. That is one I was looking at.

Pat I have his book. I will give it another look. I was reading it mostly for just trying to learn different things about turning. His video I have is on Turning Wood. He does one box but awful fast. That is where I got the idea for my first box I posted a couple of days ago. I thought about getting his video on turning boxes.
    Bernie

Yeah, his video on boxes is awesome. My biggest problem with his videos are that he has that thick accent and I have a hearing problem . not a good combo.

Our club has a copy of his turning projects video that I want to get. it covers using a skew and that's one of my biggest short comings in woodturning.
    Last edited by Pat Salter; 02-20-2006 at 10:37 AM.