Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm very disappointed (A little venting)

I'm very disappointed (A little venting)

Charlotte, NC hosted the The Woodworkers Show this weekend at the Merchandise Mart. Our local turners club participated in the show by having a demonstration and providing some of our pieces for the public to come by and see. Now, maybe I'm naive or perhaps I've become complacent since I'm surrounded by such nice and generous people in our club, in this forum, and other forums but I think of the general woodworking population as wholesome people. Well, I made a mistake about that generality this weekend. I sent seven of my small boxes with finials to the show on Friday and I brought 3 1/2 back.

Someone picked up a cherry burl / ebony finial box, a peach / ironwood box, a grandillo / ebony finial box, and the top of a dogwood / ebony finial box. The boxes I have shown here over the last couple of weeks. I can't believe that someone who does woodworking and understands the time and effort it takes to make something would steal my work. I've had a couple of pens stolen from a consignment shop but they had a wide range of clientele.

At least I have some consolation that they thought my boxes were worth stealing and they ranked with some Lie-Nielson tools which they stole from a booth about two down from us. Maybe that means there is a demand for them when I get ready to sell some.

At least I've still got the pictures in this thread.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Hi Ray,

Its hard to figure people these days. I think you had the right thought about your turnings being so good that they just had to have them...

That really sucks Raymond. I'd be a good bit more than very disappointed.

Sorry to hear about that, Raymond. My friends at Mini Max had their "demonstration" piece of resaw wood stolen at the Ft Washington show earlier this year. Go figure. This kind of thing seems to be increasing at the shows and it's unfortunately going to reduce the opportunities to fondle things for the honest folks.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Boy that stinks, Raymond. And I can relate to it.

I once conducted an open house at a just completed brand new buhzillion dollar project in Woodside, CA. The homeowner was "into it" and put his own photo album of the experience on the dining room table for all to review and enjoy. One idiot liked it so much he took it home.

Some people.
    Only the Blue Roads

Raymond,

I sure hate to hear this. I was at the show Friday and went by your booth many times. I saw the boxes, but did not know that they were yours. You are right about the folks in your club, they were great guys. I met one named Ric (can't remember his last name) and another young man helped me pick out a Irish Grind bowl gouge in another booth. I think your booth was the most exciting thing there. The show as a whole was nothing like it has been in previous years. Sorry for your loss.
    Be Blessed!

Bummer Raymond. You never know by looking at people what they will do. That is a shame.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That stinks Ray. Don't understand it myself. Well, I guess if anything someone thought enough of it to steal it.

corey

Thanks everyone for all the kind words and sentiment. The sad thing is, if someone had shown a lot of interest in them, I probably would have given them one.

Glad to hear you made it by Chris. You probably met Ric Erkes. He just did our demo at our last meeting. He does some amazing pieces with texturing, carving, and fluting. He's a really nice guy. Of course, I haven't met a bad one in the bunch.

You're right about the show. It really wasn't that interesting this year. Craft Supply had a booth and the local Klingspor was out in force but other than that, I didn't see much that caught my eye. Of course I did have to go by and hold a couple of Lie-Nielson planes. Those are some fine tools. That #6 Jack plane is just calling my name.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Raymond...That really su#ks. I didn't go this year but if I had known you and your club had a booth, I would have liked to stop by and met you. I must have missed it in the brochure.

You do really nice work and I'm sure the thief was impressed. When something gets stolen here in Charlotte, the investigators check out the pawn shops down in Rock Hill. Might be worth a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    One idiot liked it so much he took it home.
    Andy you got that wrong. They liked the house and they wanted one just like it, stole you pics to show their contractor.

It sucks to have your hard work or tools stolen. But I have to agree that they thought so much of your work they left other stuff there.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Being from California, and all...(even lived in Berkeley once...) all I can say is the person who took your turnings will be duly rewarded with karma in kind. Anytime one is lucky enough to have a woodworker give something of him/her self, wow!! Obviously this thief doesn't get it. And turnings, to me, are even more personal. I just don't understand. I think it's jealousy or something. You can create something from your heart with tools and this thief fool thinks by stealing your work he/she can capture and own it. I THINK NOT!

Sorry human kind can really be a disappointment.
    Keep On Twirlin' & Turnin' !

If copying is the most sincere form of flattery, then I suppose outright stealing has to be #2 or #3. I suppose that doesn't make it much easier to swallow though. To paraphrase Mark Knopfler, someone alway puts pigweed in the muligan stew.

I'd be furious Raymond. I wouldn't care how much they liked them. Someone who steals your work is just stealing from everyone. That stinks!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I hope everytime they look at it, they admire it and remember they stole it!
    Sorry to hear it happened.

Dave Fried