Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DP Run out, can it be fixed

Brian,

Did you ever find out what is going on with your drill press? I used mine yesterday and I really like it so far.

Allen

Allan, I see you bought a new chuck. What kind did you purchase?

I agree with Allen - spade bits are not precision tools, and are rarely perfectly straight. I suspect that they're manufactured by a forging or stamping process, rather than milling.

Try a Forstner bit before you disassemble your DP and possibly make things worse.

Hi Brian,

I have three drill-presses; a General 15", a Buffalo 15", and a Craftsman 32" radial drill-press. The Craftsman at one point, had some run-out, which at first I attributed to component quality of the d-p. Although this run-out was rather slight, it was annoying to say the least; especially when attempting to drill tight-tolerance holes in metal. No matter how carefully I tried to seat the drill-bit into that chuck, I ended up with a very slight travel in the bit, as I lowered the bit into the material.

The first time I really became aware of this run-out, was when I tried to drill some very small holes in mild steel, for some steel dowel pins. The dowel pins had to fit in the drilled holes, with a "friction fit". Tolerances had to be quite tight in order to achieve that goal. When I tried to insert the dowel pins, they simply fell through the "enlarged" holes. Very annoying, since this was a critical step in aligning two mating metal parts. I resigned myself to buying a better chuck, and it was then that I bought the General, and Buffalo drill-presses.

Well, one day I was looking inside the top-cover of that Craftsman press, and I noticed that there was a slight movement in the spindle-pulley. Very slight, but a distinct side-to-side movement. I reached inside the pulley cavity and tightened the nut that holds down the front pulley assembly, and that side-play disappeared; so did the run-out. Might be worth a peek.

Good luck, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Massery
    Allan, I see you bought a new chuck. What kind did you purchase?
    Russ,

Actually the chuck that I bought I purchased last year some time for my old Buffalo. It is a CVS (England) from Victor Machinery and seems like OK quality but I am sure not up to Jacobs quality. It was a discontinued item so it was pretty cheap. I think that I am going to junk the old Buffalo and save the Leeson motor. Unfortunately the CVS chuck is a JT2 Short taper so of no value as far as using it on the Delta as I see that it has a JT3.

In looking around on the internet it looks like that the medium duty Jacobs, JT3, 1/8"-5/8" chucks are running between $100 and $125. Any idea who has good prices for these things?

I think that I will do as you suggested and use the supplied chuck untill it starts giving me trouble and then get a Jacobs.

Allen

Sorry for the lack of update, I didn't recieve the centerting point until Thursday or Friday. That being said I would recomend someone to get the same centerting point as its alot straighter than any nails and it don't want to cut into the wood like a tip of a bit.

During the week I tried a few things like 4 penny nails, which the point isnt centerd on but are usually straight and also a small piece of all thread. I then decided to take a piece of 4x4 that was laying around and put it under the chuck and pulled down on it with alot of force. Its nice to see that the dolly which I attached it to is pretty solid and didn't even lift off the ground at all.

I got the chance today to test it out and it has alot less wobble, its pretty close to perfect.

Brian

Great news Brian. Thanks for the update and we all feel a lot better now. Allen

Allan, I have a couple of extra jacob's chucks laying around. P.M. if your interested.