Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hmmm, I wonder...

1. I do notice that the motor and the headstock has a step pulley on it, if you like the lathe, but the speed is a bit too high, maybe you could swap pulley(s) to reduce the lowest speed...?

Just a thought.....

Cheers!

From a guy who owns one...

I have been using the G0584 for about six months. I consider it an excellent starter lathe. I have turned wet bowls as big as 12 inches on the faceplate and had no trouble. I do rough out the blanks on my bandsaw, but I have put some pretty out of balance pieces on it and it handled them fine. I have a couple hundred pounds of sand on the bottom, and I have not had any moving problems. The only trouble I have had is the handle to tighten the tool rest. I managed to strip the threads, but I now have a set of pliers that I use to tighten and loosen it.

I would recommend it as a starter. Eventually, I would like to put some serious money towards a bigger machine, but this will serve me for years to come.

Good luck!

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. The G0462 that I am talking about is essentially the same as your lathe except with more than double the HP of the G0584 and only $20 difference in price. With so many folks wanting to get into turning but, being on a strict budget, the G0462 may be a very good option. Sure, I would like to wish everyone could wait until they could afford a (Oneway, PM, Stubby, Poolewood etc...) but, reality is that for lots of folks if they have to save $50/month for 10 years to get a lathe they will just give up. On the otherhand, if they can get a new 16x43 machine with variable speed drive and 2hp delivered to their door for under $400 then they might just jump in!

OK, I normally don't post anything when it comes to recommending lathes for newbes or experienced turners either. As far as the Grizzly lathe I have read a couple of posts from users and they said they are happy with it. My experience is this: My first lathe cost $100.00, a cheep 12" square tube import. Did it work, yes. Was it a quality lathe, no. Did I do some decent turnings on it , yes. The most important thing to me was that I learned that I like turning and that it was something I wanted to persue. What did I do next ? Sold it for $50.00 and bought a better 12" lathe, then sold it and bought a yet better 12" lathe. Well guess what, I sold that one and bought yet another better 12" lathe. On all three lathes I sold I got between 50 and 80% of my money back. Would I like to have a Oneway, sure. Would I like to have a PM, sure. Am I ever going to have one, probably not. Not everyone is going to continue with turning no matter how good or poor their lathe is. Bottom line I guess for me anyway is it's not so much the lathe produces good work as it is the operator. Just my dimes worth.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

I like the way Keith's thinking....The real value is between ones ears and in the hands. I think it's great that you can get 2 HP for $400.

3/4 HP would become "too small" after a shorter time if one wanted eventually turn larger stuff.....But 2 HP would go a lot longer before the turner decided that it was no longer adequate for their needs. IMHO
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Except for the cast iron legs, this looks just about like the 'in'famous HF 34706 (which I have) and the original Jet 1236 it was cloned from. I bought the HF 34706 because of the many good reports as a good starter lathe. I know that there are a couple of other differences (continuous bed, etc) but the headstock is basically the same.

George
    Last edited by George Summers; 02-20-2006 at 4:14 PM.