Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hmmm, I wonder...

Hmmm, I wonder...

Many ask about a best starter lathe. I know nothing about this machine but, if it is anything approaching decent then at the advertised price this would be a bargain. Just throw a couple of hundred pounds of sand bags across a 2x10 on the bottomj of the stand and...

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2006/main/107

PS: I am talking about the G0462...

Grizzly sure does some weird things. Why have an RPM readout on a fixed speed reeves drive? And 600 RPM is a little high for the minimum speed.

Chris you get what you pay for. The cast iron tool rest & banjo may break under stress or with a catch. This is my opinion. GT

"2hp" motor that is listed for "110v" and 18 amps...and the breaker size recommended is 15 amps on the spec sheet. "Something" doesn't add up...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree but, 2hp and 300lbs of cast iron delivered to your door for less than $400 is impressive if it is anywhere near decent.

I was about to like it too, Chris. Then noticed that the low end speed on both machines is 600 rpms.

There are times when I'm turning something in the medium to big size and I never get that fast even towards the end of the process.

This fact coupled with with the rotating headstock (to allow larger and heavier work pieces) proves that the manufacturer has never spoken to anyone who does facework.

But if I wanted to just do centerwork - you betcha.

Note to Papa Griz - Strongly suggest that you design a lathe, and then engineer the motor and controls to operate it. Rather than designing lathes that will accomodate existing motor designs.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    "2hp" motor that is listed for "110v" and 18 amps...and the breaker size recommended is 15 amps on the spec sheet. "Something" doesn't add up...
    I would normally agree but, did you notice this statement in the "insert"

The Model G0462 is very similar to the Model G0584 with only a few differences (motor size, digital RPM
    display, tailstock, and swing). Besides the parts breakdown and machine data sheet, the information in the
    Model G0584 manual is the same for the Model G0462.
    This insert is intended to be used WITH the Model G0584 manual, not as a replacement for it. Before operating
    your new machine, you MUST read and understand the entire Model G0584 manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    I was about to like it too, Chris. Then noticed that the low end speed on both machines is 600 rpms.

There are times when I'm turning something in the medium to big size and I never get that fast even towards the end of the process.

This fact coupled with with the rotating headstock (to allow larger and heavier work pieces) proves that the manufacturer has never spoken to anyone who does facework.

But if I wanted to just do centerwork - you betcha.

Note to Papa Griz - Strongly suggest that you design a lathe, and then engineer the motor and controls to operate it. Rather than designing lathes that will accomodate existing motor designs.
    I guess what I am saying is, I would like to hear from someone that actually has used this machine. Many posts come to this forum asking for advice on a starter lathe and often these folks are very money ristricted but, they want to try doing lathe work. In the past (as recently as today) I have suggested that they wait and save the money.... But, had that been the case for me from the outset I would have probably never turned anything (which may have been a blessing in disguise). I agree that 600 rpm as a bottom speed is high but, it's not completely unreasonable. I also don't like the articulated tool rest on the banjo, just a receipe for disaster. However, it looks like your can take the arm off and attach the tool rest directly to the banjo. Oh well, just the musingings of an old fart.

But good musings nonetheless.

I'm gonna think about this over some you know what. Later.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton
    I agree but, 2hp and 300lbs of cast iron delivered to your door for less than $400 is impressive if it is anywhere near decent.
    That I see as a problem as well as what Jim mentioned. Think about it, the over all size of the lathe... the bed is cast iron and the legs are cast iron and the actual weight of the machine is only 287 lbs. Seems like mighty thin cast iron. You can scratch using the extension on the tool rest if they're still making them as they did a year ago. I broke 3 or 4 of them. The banjo is inadequate for anything bigger around than about 8-9 inches.

I would think you could get a pretty good mini for about that price and actually do better.

Don't mean to sound like I'm slamming your thread Chris, but I have the G1495 an so some experience with the Grizzly lathe workings.

Ernie

Okay Chris. I've spent the last couple of hours consuming mass quantities of you know what and am now ready to respond - with a curve ball and in the form of a question.

What if - instead of focusing on helping someone find the best lathe and essential gear at a specific budget point - we instead ask the following question.

"How much time, money, and energy are you willing to devote to learning a bit about turning without
    purchasing anything you can keep, other than the resultant experience and knowledge?"

Whatcha think?
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Okay Chris. I've spent the last couple of hours consuming mass quantities of you know what and am now ready to respond - with a curve ball and in the form of a question.

What if - instead of focusing on helping someone find the best lathe and essential gear at a specific budget point - we instead ask the following question.

"How much time, money, and energy are you willing to devote to learning a bit about turning without
    purchasing anything you can keep, other than the resultant experience and knowledge?"

Whatcha think?
    Sir, you may have asked what many would call "THE QUESTION." I wonder if any of us knows the answer....

I think "The Question" should be posted as a sticky with those lathe essentials lists. Very good job Andy, now send me some of that brain stuff you consumed, you can hide it in the shaving with my wood.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Sorry Jim, but it's all gone. Was a batch of home churned Mocha Kahlua Chip, and with all that alcohol in it it really doesn't stiffen up good enough to maintain it's form for shipping. Besides, I heard MO was a dry state.
    Only the Blue Roads

Dry around here anyway's. I thought it was some coffe of some sort
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day