Thread: First Dovetail Joint!!!!! aka first SMC documented tool gloat

First Dovetail Joint!!!!! aka first SMC documented tool gloat

UPS guy showed up with two boxes today. In one is my new Hitachi M12V router destined for the router table I am starting this weekend.

M12V.jpg

Under his other arm he held a new Porter Cable 4212 Dovetail Jig. This thing is AWESOME.

PC4212.jpg

Very well thought out. In a matter of about 20 minutes I went from opening the box to this.

DTJoint.jpg

They really thought of everything when they put this together. And, to include Whitesides bits, that's something. This joint isnt perfect (spacing was off a little for the size of the piece) but it only took a few minutes to do. I am going to try all of the joints in the next couple of nights and Ill give you progress reports. I still must give props to those that are able to cut them by hand, but for ~$100 this jig will get me most of the joints I will ever use. I cant wait to try the through template next.

Still on the road are a Woodpeckers Plungelift Kit and a Frued rip blade, pics to follow on their arrival.
    Jason Morgan

Congrats Jason! I have the 4112 and I found it easy to use. Would I like one of the more expensive more adjustable models?.......Yes! Could I justify it? No! Congrats!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Congrats Jason. I also have the 4212 and like it quite a bit and find it very easy to use. One easy improvement that I have found to be helpful is to put a standard 3/8 (I believe) nut behind the brass adjustment knob that holds the template in-place. This knob tends to move a bit and if you are making a lot of joints you want it to stay put once you set it. The idea is to back it off a bit, make your adjustments and tighten it against the back of the brass adjuster to really hold it in-place.

L

Nice work Jason.

Congratulations Jason, I just bought a pc jig this year and like it a lot too. Looking forward to the through template review as I have not used mine yet. Regards, Bill

Very nice, been thinking of that jig myself. Congrats!

Corey

7. Boy a double gloat and some sawdust too!

You done good!

Cheers!

Hey - I got the same tools one Friday and one today. Hope I have the same luck on the dovetails as you did......now who wants my HF DT machine????

(If it only took 20 min. to get a dovetail done that should have left plenty of time to wack the ears off that router!)

Isn't it just great seeing brown boxes left on your doorstep?

I am glad to see your success! I bought the 4212 three or so weeks ago but have not tried it out yet--I had to wait for waay too long to get the templet adapter so I can use the PC bushings on my Bosch router. I've now got all the parts, but no time. Funny how that works out.

Great gloat and great looking DT!!!! Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Morgan

They really thought of everything when they put this together. And, to include Whitesides bits, that's something.
    I just got this jig but mine came with P-C bits. Can you confirm how you know you got Whitesides bits?

Thanks,

Mike

EDITED: I called P-C and they said they have never supplied any other bits except their own with these jigs.
    Last edited by Mike Goetzke; 02-24-2006 at 10:37 AM.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Nice haul. Love those Brown boxes.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Cool!! I got the that jig too, and I love it!!! it trruely is very easy to use and the idea about putting a nut behind the brash adjusting nut is great, I am gonna do it tonight whne I get home!!

I also ordered the miniature DT templet for that jig and I cant wait to use it.

I made four drawers with that jig, Ive made both half blind DT and through DT and they come out great. The first drawer was a nightmare!! I must not have tightened the bit enough cos it came off during a cut and just mangeled the guide bushing!!! Lucky that bushing was there! But after waiting a week for PC to send a new bushing (oddly enough the 3/4" x5/16" high bushing is a special order part..imagine that)

I was finally able to finish the rest of the drawer after a little grinding and filing the mangled bushing back to nominal health. But I went full bore after the new one got here and completed three more drawers in one after noon.

I am gonna get my digital camera out this weekend and post some pics.