Thread: super strong and stable wood filler?

super strong and stable wood filler?

I am looking for a stable and strong wood filler to fill a few areas of minor checking in the end of a white oak board. I have a quantity of lumber that has such small defects and one of these wound up in a seat blank. I think this checking occurred in the extremes of the kiln-- I am sure the cracks represent a weak point, but I don't expect it to travel so much (based on observation of similar defects in the same lot of lumber). Ideally the filler would be something that comes in a range of colors, although the location of the checks are very inconspicuous on this piece.
    Any suggestions?

If strength and stablility is what you need, how about epoxy mixed with wood flour (fine saw dust) Not sure about colors, but you may be able to adjust by the type of wood flour used, ie darker wood produces darker flour. I don't think you could beat it for strength and stability.

-dan

Dutchman might be the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Roelofs
    I am looking for a stable and strong wood filler to fill a few areas of minor checking in the end of a white oak board.
    How about patching it with wood from the same board? If you can get a good grain match you will be in business. Better than any putty I would think.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gregory
    How about patching it with wood from the same board? If you can get a good grain match you will be in business. Better than any putty I would think.
    I agree totally and always try to use piece or slivers of the same wood with the same grain orientation when filling defects and "design modifications". These repairs then almost disappear. I use carefully applied glue to hold the larger pieces in and with slivers, I just insert them, trim them to the surface and let the finish keep them home. I avoid putties, fillers or any other concoctions whenever possible on things that will be left natural. Objects, like my kitchen cabinets, that are being painted get filled with non-shrinking spackle and are sanded smooth after the preparation is done drying.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...