Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ridgid? Grizzly? Both good?

Ridgid? Grizzly? Both good?

Hi
    I just signed up a couple of days ago and have been searching for recommendations on either Grizzly or Ridgid tools on a 14" bandsaw (shopsmith replacement), 6" jointer, and 13" planer. Seems as if most magazine reviews I've been reading rate the Ridgid tools a "Best Value" award, but never a "Best Overall". I get the same idea about the Grizzly tools. Prices of both brands seem to give a lot of tool for the dollar. I haven't seen anything in any of the postings that would indicate that I should stay away from either brand. In fact, I seem to remember a "higher-up" from Grizzly answering a post.
    I'm not looking for a lot of bells and whistles, just a solid machine that does what it's supposed to.
    Any Ridgid or Grizzly guys out there with opinions?
    Thanks
    Bob

Robert........Welcome to the Creek!

I have the Ridgid 13" planer and I have the Ridgid TS3650. I have been happy with both. From what I've learned from other members here, I'd probably consider Grizzly if I were buying today. I've heard a lot of complaints about customer service from Ridgid. I've occassionally heard complaints about customer service from Grizzly but...........Papa Bear himself is a member here. He seems to quickly get involved in issues our members have had with one of his company's products.

Again..........Welcome to the Creek!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I had a number of Ridgid tools, and participated on the Ridgid forum.

There was little support on the forum for the Ridgid bandsaw (lots of griping). On the other hand, I love my Grizzly G0555 14 inch bandsaw - bought it as an "upgrade" to a far more expensive Jet 14 inch.

The Ridgid 6 inch jointer was great. I have reservations if 6 inches is wide enough for any jointer, but the Ridgid jointer was solid and performed reliably. I was considering upgrading to an 8 inch Grizzly, but instead I jumped to a 16 inch unit.

I had a Delta lunch box planer, and after I got it, and used someone else's Ridgid, I wished I had gone for the Ridgid. I have not used the corresponding Grizzly planers, or the newer generation of lunchbox planers.

Hope that helps.

First off, welcome to the Creek, Robert.

I have a Ridgid TS3650 table saw that I'm very happy with. That said, I've looked at the Ridgid 14" bandsaw, and don't think it's a well-equipped as the G0555. (I ended up buying the Shop Fox cousin to the G0555, partly because I could pick it up locally, and partly because it has a few upgraded features over the G0555.)

For 6" jointers, I have a Grizzly 6" that I've been real happy with, but I have a co-worker who bought the Ridgid 6" jointer about the same time, and he loves it.

On the planers, I can't help, since I've not used either the Orange or Green versions. My Snipemaster is gray.

- Vaughn

I was also in your situation a little while ago. I wanted a complete shop for the most part but i didn't have alot of money to spend. I looked into the ridgid tools and from what i heard from people was they liked them but i didn't hear anyone completly brag about them. So i looked into grizzly tools and i heard the complete opposite. Every where i asked i heard people saying how much they liked this and that. I would recommend grizzly over ridgid. If you are patient like i tried to be you can find some excellent tools for awesome prices. I checked www.craiglist.org every morning and evening. I found the grizzly G0555 14" bandsaw will the riser block, a whole bunch of new bandsaw blades, mobil base all for $350. That is what the ridgid costs and i got so much more. Then i checked ebay and found a 8" grizzly jointer almost new for $400. I recently got a 15" planer for $300. All where in great condition. So what ever whay you chose i recommend patience and buying used tools if you are on a budget. Even though it is really, really, really hard to be patient and look every where but when you score a great buy you feel 10 times better knowing you waited. Anyways best of luck!

I have been very happy with my Grizzly tools & Delta tools & some of the older better quality Sears tools that I have. I have stayed away from Ridgid because of their affiliation with Home Depot to me this combination hasn't seem to work out to well. As well as some of the problems I've heard about with the manufacturing company the Ridgid chose to take over the manufacturing of their products. I just don't care for the overall situation.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Reihsen
    Hi
    I just signed up a couple of days ago and have been searching for recommendations on either Grizzly or Ridgid tools on a 14" bandsaw (shopsmith replacement), 6" jointer, and 13" planer. Seems as if most magazine reviews I've been reading rate the Ridgid tools a "Best Value" award, but never a "Best Overall". I get the same idea about the Grizzly tools. Prices of both brands seem to give a lot of tool for the dollar. I haven't seen anything in any of the postings that would indicate that I should stay away from either brand. In fact, I seem to remember a "higher-up" from Grizzly answering a post.
    I'm not looking for a lot of bells and whistles, just a solid machine that does what it's supposed to.
    Any Ridgid or Grizzly guys out there with opinions?
    Thanks
    Bob
    Well at least you have a chance to ask about this method of rating. I did not ask and got snookered. A few years back, they did a review of the dewalt biscuit joiner and gave it the Best Value award which silly me thought was the BEST OVERALL award. So I went out and bought the dewalt instead of buying the Lamello. Now I wish I had payed more attention to this review. I plan on buying the Lamello in the future but I could have used it for a few years and been completely happy. From what I have learned, Best Value means implicitly cheap and Best Overall means implicitly more expensive because its a better made machine and cost was not a major driver in the design.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Ridgid Continuing WW'ing Tools?

I was looking at the Ridgid planer recently as well. However, in Googling around the internet I found one site where someone claimed Ridgid was getting out of the WW'ing tool business. Now, I don't know the source and have no way to validate this claim, but it made me a little nervous nonetheless.

Can anyone speak to their intentions to continue producing and supporting these tools?

The reviews of the Ridgid planer that I read were almost entirely positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch
    I have been very happy with my Grizzly tools & Delta tools & some of the older better quality Sears tools that I have. I have stayed away from Ridgid because of their affiliation with Home Depot to me this combination hasn't seem to work out to well. As well as some of the problems I've heard about with the manufacturing company the Ridgid chose to take over the manufacturing of their products. I just don't care for the overall situation.
    For whats its worth. Rigid === Craftsman. Rigid was a plumbing tool company that was bought out by Emerson Electric who owns all sorts of things including Rosemont Industrial. Emerson was one of the last US based companies to OEM tools to sears under the craftsman name. Many companies held OEM craftsman contracts over the years including Parks Woodworking and Altas Press and Die. So the quality of a craftsman stationary tool depends greatly on which OEM contract it was manufactured under. When the Emerson contract expired, Sears did not renew. Instead, they outsourced all their tools to either Taiwan or China. Emerson not haveing a clue as to what to do worked out an agrement with Home Depot to sell the same basic tools but under a new name. Having access to the Rigid name and since the Rigid name was both macho and well recognized in the plumbing circles, Rigid was it. The orange and cream paint scheme came about from the affiliation with Home Depot. Since then, Rigid tools have moved much of their operation overseas as well and have enjoyed moderate success through the Home Depot distribution channels. I personally own one Rigid item..... a shop vac. It has been fair.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Robert........Welcome to the Creek!

I have the Ridgid 13" planer and I have the Ridgid TS3650. I have been happy with both. From what I've learned from other members here, I'd probably consider Grizzly if I were buying today. I've heard a lot of complaints about customer service from Ridgid. I've occassionally heard complaints about customer service from Grizzly but...........Papa Bear himself is a member here. He seems to quickly get involved in issues our members have had with one of his company's products.

Again..........Welcome to the Creek!
    Thanks Ken. So far the replies seem to favor the Grizzly stuff. Interesting.

Hi Vaughn
    I'm interested in what you think of your Shop Fox. There is a dealer about 3 blocks from me that stocks Shop Fox machinery. How do you like the bandsaw?

12. Okay, I'll jump in!

. I bought the Ridgid. I got in on a floor model at a great deal. I used it for a couple of months of some long days milling, and it worked great. I found a great deal on a used JET and decided to "upgrade". In all fairness, they are equal. If not for the color and the base, I'd think they were off the same boat. I kept both the JET and the Ridgid around for a month or so. Both machines were tuned and accurate. After about a month I decided it was time to sell one or the other. I got close to what I paid for the Ridgid, so I still have the JET.

If I were paying retail between the JET and the Ridgid; The Ridgid wins....hands down. It is almost the same machine at close to half the cost. As far as 6" jointers.... the Ridgid is as good as any.

Planers.... If the budget was hard set at $400, I'd consider the Ridgid. Any more than that, I'd get the Dewalt 735 or a 15" induction.

__________________________________________________ _

A contractor down the street has the Ridgid table saw. He works out of a garage and an enclosed trailer. The TS is very mobile and he can take the work on the go. The Ridgid is also one of the few left-tilt contractor saw out there. It seems to be a fair value, especially if you can get a "coupon".

However, I would say to check the used market on table saws. I got mine for a song, and others have done even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Reihsen
    Hi Vaughn
    I'm interested in what you think of your Shop Fox. There is a dealer about 3 blocks from me that stocks Shop Fox machinery. How do you like the bandsaw?
    I love it. I've had good success resawing material up to 11" thick, and it powers through anything I've thrown at it. A good blade is money well spent -- the factory blade was mediocre. I paid very slightly more for it than the Griz would have cost (including delivery, mobile base and riser block). The Shop Fox has cast iron wheels, which are supposedly better than cast aluminum due to the extra mass. (How much better, I can't say, since I've not used a 14" saw with aluminum wheels or comparison.) I do know the upper wheel will spin for two minutes with just a light push (and no blade on it). It's also got a rack and pinion adjustment for the upper guide, and the enclosed base cabinet is useful for storage.

I know I sound like a Shop Fox advertisement, but I really like the saw.

- Vaughn

Just Curious, Dev........

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    Well at least you have a chance to ask about this method of rating. I did not ask and got snookered. A few years back, they did a review of the dewalt biscuit joiner and gave it the Best Value award which silly me thought was the BEST OVERALL award. So I went out and bought the dewalt instead of buying the Lamello. Now I wish I had payed more attention to this review. I plan on buying the Lamello in the future but I could have used it for a few years and been completely happy. From what I have learned, Best Value means implicitly cheap and Best Overall means implicitly more expensive because its a better made machine and cost was not a major driver in the design.
    .....what you thought was so bad about the Dewalt Biscuit Jointer? I've had one for several years, and it has performed flawlessly from the start, easy to set up, accurate, etc. Maybe I just got an exceptional one????????
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Hi Robert and welcome. Either one of these brands will likely serve you well. I don't think you'll glean from us that one brand is definitively better than the other. There are pros and cons to both brands, and each tool rates differently relative to another IMO. For example - Ridgid has local pick up and a longer warranty. IMO, the Griz table saws have a more substantial fence and miter gauge...the Ridgid comes with it's own mobile base. The Griz jointers offer an enclosed base and slightly longer table, plus more options in various models. I see no advantages with the Griz portable planer over the Ridgid or other proven machines at the price point. The Grizzly BS gets raves and includes more accessories...like a fence.

I think you'd be best off comparing features and differences, and buying what you like as opposed to comparing the passion level of opinions. Some people are more emotional than others and some express themselves better than others. Both of those traits are independent of a tool's suitability for you. I'd be more concerned about the fences, construction, bases, dimensions, warranty, miter gauges, etc., and get what you're most comfortable with.

Good luck with your decisions, and please give us an update sometime.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 02-22-2006 at 7:39 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....