Thread: Grizzly vs Shop fox

Grizzly vs Shop fox

I'm looking to buy a 20" planer for my dads Retirement.
    Was going to go with the Grizzly G1033X 20" 5 HP Spiral Cutterhead Planer but it out of stock. So I'm looking for something in the same price range. I looked at the Shop Fox® 5 HP 20" Spiral Cutterhead Planer. Looks like it close to the same planer. The shop fox has a Feed rates: 18 & 23 FPM vs 16 & 20 FPM on the grizzly but the Cutterhead speed is faster by 700 RPM in the shop fox. The other thing is the shop fox has 3 Chromed infeed and outfeed rollers and the grizzly has cast iron extension tables. The fox has Rubber outfeed roller and 2 Chromed upper rollers the grizzly dose not say what it has. Both have 5hp, Table size: 25-3/4" x 20", Dust port: 5", Knives: 4 rows, spiral knife configuration, total of 90 knives, Magnetic safety switch. The shop fox is around $100 more shiped in. Has anyone used one of this unit? Sure would like to hear your experiences with grizzly and shop fox and these machines in particular. I would sure appreciate any opinions. Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, Papa Grizzly also owns Shop Fox. I think the Shop Fox line is a "step up" from the Grizzly equipment.

Same company, different paint and finish. The motors are likely the same. They are made in the same factory iirc.

Shop Fox = different paint job, longer warranty, available at retail outlets, more expensive.

I have a Shop Fox shaper and dual drum sander. Shop Fox is a line manufactured in some relationship to Grizzly that is sold thru retail outlets. If you have a good relationship with a retailer, (I do) you can end up saveing some money on the Shop Fox. I (IMHO) think the Shop Fox maybe a little better, 24" vs. 26" sander, chrome wheels, etc.

Richard

Jeff Watson Guest
    Owned by the same company, different marketing strategies. One is mail order, the other sold through independant retail stores. I have a shop fox dust collector and I just received new Grizzley jointer. I think I like the green a little better than the white in paint schemes. I am considering buying the 3hp Shop Fox shaper. Seems to have a little higher quality extra's. I am really impressed with the fit and finish on my new jointer. Very good value for the money.

Sorry didn't mean to highjack the thread. Jeff, I take it everythings okay with your G0490?

Jeff Watson Guest
    Thanks for asking Russ. I was actually going to post some pictures tonight but I have run out of time. I need to hit the hay. I will post some tomorrow. For the most part everything is good. I did have a broken stop button that I need to call Grizzley on. Doesn't affect operations but it does look bad. Had to tweak the front panel slightly, but the motor mounts were straight. Over all I am very please with the jointer. I think it is a great value. Changed out the power cord and put on a link belt. Had to swap out the washer that held the fence on. It was interferring with the link belt. I will detail more in separate post tomorrow. Thanks

I am confused on the relationship between SF and G if there is indeed one

lou

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    I am confused on the relationship between SF and G if there is indeed one
    The connection is supposedly Woodstock International.

But let's just make an assumption for a brief moment that there is a connection. No big deal and it makes sense. G sells direct to the public (yea, the Amazon thing is a deviation of this, but it's still in the same spirit) SF is sold through brick and mortar dealers, more or less. That's another market. (With some overlap, obviously) In this community, there are folks who don't mind buying direct via the Internet and there are others who absolutely must "touch" something before buying. Again, assuming a connection...that means both markets can be addressed. The direct, lowest price model and the hands-on physical store model where the customer is willing to pay a little more. That would also account for why the SF products are a little "flashier"...flash sells in retail. And for those who prefer "flash" and still want to buy online...G sells SF, too. 'Just plain good business.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Shop Fox

I've had the Shop Fox shaper for about 15 months and the left tilt cabinet saw with extended rails for about 3 years. Bought them both through a local dealer at a price less than the comparable Griz products. I have about $1400 in the pair ... maybe a little less.... as I get older the hard drive tends to lose exact numbers.

IMHO ... both have been as good as I could have hoped. In fact the fence on the cabinet saw has yet to need any adjustment and its been heavily used. Keep waiting for the 18" Shop Fox bandsaw but no luck so far but then I haven't checked lately ... dealer kept telling me he could not get one.

Sure would like to have that planer.... and one of those big Griz aircraft carriers all you guys are buying.

Thanks for all the help

I'v looked around and i'm going with the YORKCRAFT® Model YC-20P 20" Wood Planer with the Byrd Tool® Shelix® Cutterhead Model JLYC20P for YC-20P Planer. I thank it's the same as the grizzly but it shiping today. thanks again