Thread: Garage Machine Protection

Garage Machine Protection

I'm in the position where I'm aquiring my first jointer and planer and have no room for it in my cozy, climate controlled workshop so I'm forced to consider the unimaginable - moving them to an unheated garage.

Other than Topcote and machine covers, are there any other precautions you would take? Also, is there any long term damage these machines would suffer in this unhospitable environment of Northern New Jersey?

Thanks in advance

You could do what I do and make the cars stay outside. My garage is nice and dry.

Smile

Traffic barriers! For when your wife is backing out of the garage.

4. I share my shop/garage with the family car. I worry about excess moisture in the shop when it rains and the car comes in wet. No problems though, I just wax or top-coat cast iron surfaces and keep them covered.
    Express Creativity With Wood.

In a past life, we used to get shipments of expensive, delicate stuff that included 1# bags of desiccant. A couple of these tucked under your cover would just about guarantee a dry space. Bags could be placed in a warm oven to refresh the desiccant.

I've relegated a couple of large, seldom used machines to OUTSIDE my shop. I had custom heavy vinyl cover/Velcro closures made and I keep a open pan of medium oil in the enclosure.

No rust.

BUT--we have not had rain for 130 days straight now, and the humidity is always low--like 20-40% -- sometimes lower.

This is the time of year that we get to gloat over our weather! Summer and 120 degrees are on the way!

Bill

"This is the time of year that we get to gloat over our weather! Summer and 120 degrees are on the way!"

At the rate we are going this year I would not be surprised if we see the magic 122º. Man that was a brutal year, they even shut down the airport since the charts stopped at 120º. and remember they take those temps in the shade *yikes*
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Do you guys have cupboard heaters in your part of the world?
    They are little aluminium bars with a 50watt (?) heater element inside. The idea is you stick one in the bottom of your closet and it warms it up a little, keeps the damp away.
    If you stuck one of these in the cabinet of your machine and covered it with a tarp it would stop the machine getting as cold and reduce the condensation when you uncovered and warmed up the air. We used to fit them under photocopy machines which were plauged by condensation and dampness in our cool / damp climate.

Cheers

Ian

9. We see those in Japan as well.

You can also use the little heaters from pet stores for hatchling birds, and even the ones from fish tanks.

Cheers!!

If you have good and expensive equipment you need to consider security as well. Not uncommon to hear of thieves with both nerve and a truck.

I live in Prattville, Al, the preferred Community
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT FALK
    I'm in the position where I'm aquiring my first jointer and planer and have no room for it in my cozy, climate controlled workshop so I'm forced to consider the unimaginable - moving them to an unheated garage.

Other than Topcote and machine covers, are there any other precautions you would take? Also, is there any long term damage these machines would suffer in this unhospitable environment of Northern New Jersey?
    Thanks in advance
    I don't think you will have any problems with your machines if you use topcoat or wax them regualraly(sp). My machines are not in a climate controlled area, my shop is not heated 24 hours a day nor is it air conditioned 24 hrs aday. My machines are in great shape with no rust or moisture problems.

"thieves with both nerve and a truck."......Sends shivers up and own my back.

I have my shop in my garage and have slowly pushed both cars out side...except for the bike, which has become like a huge St Bernard that just gets in the way and kicking it to get up and move just dont work. I dont know how often I have gotten up in the morning to find out that I left the garage door open all night!!! Luckily I live ina relatively safe and closed neighborhood but of course now all my neighbors know I have a bunch of cool tools in there. Not a good thing.

It gets humid here in Florida but I have had several machines in there for a few years and no rust yet. I run a bar of bees wax on all cast iron surfaces and seems to keep everything clean.<!-- / message -->

When my shop was in the garage, I used a kerosene heater while working. At least once a year, while using paste wax, I had to do a major de-rusting of all exposed cast iron including planes due to condensation. I started using Topcote, and that helped a lot. Boeshield is supposed to be much better, but I can't get it to dry.

During the winter, blowing snowflakes would land on my tools and cause instant rust. Tool covers would solve that problem, but not the condensation one. I never had any problems with rust on my planer due to its stainless steel bed and tables.

See if there's any way you can fit at least the jointer in your shop. It's generally more frequently used and cast iron. If your planer is the typical portable 12"-13" model, it is probably made of metal which is less likely to rust. Putting the jointer on a mobile base might allow you to move it to an out of the way spot when not in use. Your planer could be put on a low mobile base and wheeled under a saw table or workbench.