Thread: Another Incra Fence Question

Another Incra Fence Question

My new 24" Incra Ultra came in today and I'm starting on the new top for it. How far from the router bit should the mounting bracket be? Since it's the 24" version, I set the fence so that it would be at the front of the bit. I then positioned the mounting bracket so the cursor was at "zero" on the scale. That means the bracket is roughly 22" away from the bit. Is that how I should be mounting it? I want to make sure before I start drilling holes. Thanks

Incra Jig

I believe that the instructions are included with your paperwork on distances, etc. Since your building your own table top give yourself lots of room (Length). You will love your Incra.

I would mount the fence so that it will extend out to the far side of the largest router bit that you ever expect to use on your table. If the fence is on the left of the router then make sure it can travel a little past center on the right side. That will allow you to make the shallowest cut possible with most of the bit nehind the fence as well as any other cut.

Guy,
    You do not need to drill holes now. I suggest that you go thru the installation process and clamp the mounting base to the router. It should be at or near the edge. The fence should be centered ojn the router bit. Other than that, there are only small installs and then a trial. The scales are all moveable so dont set anything to them. Their "zero" is arbitrary.
    When youa re ready, make a test box with thru dovetails and you will find very fast where the jig fit you best. And, get a light for the cursor. Having that line up exactly is the whole trick to making good joints.
    Also, on the vertical fixture, the middle white nylon knob is for locking it in position. The other two knobs are for adjusting the jigs travel for the least amount of slop. When you load your wood pieces in the fixture, always have the fixture locked with that middle screw. Then stack the wood pieces so that they rest on the table and push the bottom of the stack against the fence. Do NOT try to push the wood stack against the fence other than at the bottom. That is important. You dont care if there is a gap at the top...and there maybe normally. Let gravity help. With the wood kissing the table, clamp the pieces to the fixture. Now you can unlock the middle screw.
    When you push the wood thru the cutters, your right hand should be on the back tray area of the jig and pressing down and forward.
    If it sounds like I amplacing way to much emphasis on this, wrong...your success at making good joints will be largely how you do these few things.

Here is t he page for that picture: www.woodshopdemos.com/dts-incra-1.htm

And if you really want to take some time (450 images), try this: http://images.google.com/images?q=si...=Search+Images
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

Great information John. I really appreciate it. One more question. (I honestly only glanced at the Reference Guide, so be patient. I'm sure it will tell me, if I'd just look)

Right now, the only dovetail bit that I have is a 1/2", 8*. Will I be able to use that to make some practice joints over the weekend?

Thanks again for all the help and information.
    Last edited by Guy Germaine; 02-24-2006 at 8:23 AM.