Thread: Router table dimensions

Router table dimensions

Okay, I have all the opinions on top construction, now what about dimensions? Really, just height and table size, I plan to build the Norm style cabinet under it, but I want to get the top and height right. My current table is 37.25" high and on castors. Im going to get some better quality wheels for it but I like that height. Although, if I make it the same height as my table saw, then I can use it for outboard feeding (side for long crosscuts or infeed table for PW sheets). The table size I currently have in mind it 24 deep by 36 wide. Im going to make my own fence, so it can be any size.

Thanks!
    Jason Morgan

Oh and by the way, how large do I make the box arount the router?
    Jason Morgan

Router cabinet

Norm's router cabinet is like Muntz TV. All little drawers that serve no purpose. Better to build the Jointech router cabinet. Bigger drawers, and more functional. Just my opinion. I have built both.

My router table is 24" deep by 36" wide. I like bigger. Many of the commercial tops are only 32" wide.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My top is 32"w x 36"d x 34"h., built somewhat on the JoinTech design table with larger drawers. The heigth should be what is comfortable for you to work, I'm short (5'5") so yours may be different.

http://www.woodworking-galleries.org...Photos_020.jpg
    David

I built a Norm cabinet to fit under a Rockler top. Had to shrik the widts a few inches to get it to fit. Wish I had kept the larger width at least 2 of every 5 times I use it. Go for 36* width. Then there ws the depth.. Worked OK with the original fence, but when I got the Incra, I had to add an extension to the back for support. Works fine, looks a little odd. Plan Ahead.

7. Another router cabinet idea

I just built a router cabinet this past Fall using Jointech's design. I enlarged it from the original plans to be 24" x 30" and at the same height as my workbench so I could use it as an infeed/outfeed table if needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steven

Mine is 36" x 50", The bigger the better, if you have room for it.
    32" Jointech fence with a 12" clincher.

Ed

Im000461r.jpg

Im000462r.jpg

Im000463r.jpg

My router table is basically steel legs with a purchased top. I am planning on making my own when I have the time (A lot of other things on the list above that). After using what I have for several years, I think a router table should be personalized for what you use it for.

My next one will probably be 24"x36", with the opening offset to the left. This allows more room for a fence system (Incra, Jointech) if you have one. I also prefer the Jointech router table design, but that is mainly because if lends itself to the offset router.

Of course, if space (and $$) was not an issue, I'd go as large as a table saw, with the router mounted underneath on rails (powered of course) to slide in and out for bit removal. Then I'd have to have a powered lift as well...

-Ryan

Thanks for all of the suggestions, but Im going with Ed's design. Just drew up the plans for a 44x30. This gives me plenty of drawers and plenty of width on the drawers. Ill try to post pics as I go. I hope to get the PW this weekend, I already have the MDF.
    Jason Morgan

Jason,
    Let me know if you need any more pics or dimensions. I'm more than willing to help.

Ed