Thread: I suck at sanding!!!

I suck at sanding!!!

Much like my father, he and I can build anything or fix anything. One thing we've both always took arms against is painting. I build you the house. YOU paint.

However, I've finally come to realize after these many years that I really do suck at something else too. Sanding. I hate it. What's more, I'm no good at it.

"No good at it?" you say. "Why all one must do is go in back and forth motion with paper that has sand glued to it and bango, your piece is sanded".

Oh YEA? How come then, everytime I finish a piece, whether it be stained or some form of protector, I immediately see sanding flaws. A nick here, a glue stain there, a wood-fill stain over here. What's going on? Why can't I do this. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHH

Talking

Hey Tom, can't help you out but you might enjoy a past thread mine on the subject...........
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=6760
    Tony

Tom, the name of the game is to "suck less" at sanding. Some things that will help:

1) Use clean, new paper
    2) Wipe down your workpiece with mineral spirits between each grit...this cleans the workpiece to insure that stray "rough" grit doesn't get dragged across your surface with the next finer paper. It also will help you to see scratches, nicks and glue marks so you can deal with them appropriately
    3) Always go over the piece with the mineral spirits when you think you are done to be sure you really ARE done sanding...many folks don't sand long enough
    4) If you are hand-sanding, be sure to go with the grain
    5) Be careful with your tailed sanders near edges and anything else that could catch the edge of the paper/mounting system
    6) Go over the piece AGAIN with the mineral spirits before you start committing to your finish
    7) If you use a water based dye/stain, be sure to raise the grain first with distilled water and knock down the "fuzzies" with 320 wet and dry carefully once the surface is dry. Repeat a second time before you apply your dye/stain

Oh, I forgot...sand a lot before you assemble, especially in areas that will be tough to sand after the fact...

Pay attention to the tail end of number three above! And a decent random orbital sander will give you a better surface than you can get by hand sanding, especially in grits under 150 or so.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-23-2006 at 9:54 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Funny you mention mineral spirits. I just kindof started using it. And, idiot that I am, I wiped down the piece thinking I was done. I saw a spot where I had glued a temporary clamp block and actually said to myself, "eh, the cherry stain should cover that up".

uh, it didn't.

I suck.

To add to Jim's list:
    8. Use tape and lots of it during glue-up: it will save a lot of time sanding. DAMHIKT.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

No, your a normal human. Everyone overlooks things from time to time. Me? I do it far too often...CRS disease...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hand sanding certainly isnt #1 on my list of favorite wood working activites. Afterall thats whey they make random orbiral and belt sanders in varialbe speeds it really helps knock down the time on hand sanding.

Oh and I guess this is #9) Whistle while you work... hehe

Jim Gave You A Comprehensive List But I Always Think Of

A saying I read somewhere in one of my WW books.

"Use sandpaper as if someone else is paying for it."

HTH

Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

Sanding, yes a skill that's success is directly proportionate to how much time you spend sanding.

Sanding can be tricky, for instance, too much sanding when you are using plywood construction can be a disaster....hardwoods, sometimes you can sand forever and still have marks.

All the tips above are excellent, here is another trick.

1. Sand you piece and then leave it for the night, go back the next day and take a close look, sand again and then start your finish. If you aren't rushing to get your finish on by the end of the day you won't rush your sanding.

2. If you are wiping on your finish and you see a small scratch or glue mark - dip a corner of sandpaper in the stain and then krub the spot, and you will be able to get rid of the spot. Take your time, there is nothing worse than looking at it later.

I know, because I have done that a million times.

Best of luck,

Surprised no one mentioned this yet. . .Sand Less. Look to the scraper. It provides a nice surface and avoids many of the issues that have been brought up. Lars