Thread: What to do with this space?

Exclamation What to do with this space?

Going to start rebuilding the DeWalt RAS soon. I am going to build a 4' extention table and an 8' on the other side of the saw once it is in place. I want to add a fence with stop blocks with a tape for measuring lengths. Behind the fence will be roughly a foot of unused space running the length of the tables and against the wall.

I have this set up now with my current RAS and Miter saw. This space just gets piled up with scrap wood and is a royal mess. I have tossed around a couple of ideas but looking for suggestions for the use of this space. I have a couple of windows behind this space so height is an issue at least in some of the space.

So, what would you do with this space?

BTW, I am thinking about using the space under the 4' table to store short peices of wood. Drawers or cabinets under the 8' table.

I have a similar issue with my SCMS station - too much STUFF lives behind the fence on the extension. My solution was to fill it with small drawer cabinets. Must loose the height of the fence so that the bottom drawer opens, but I was loosing the whole space to junk before. Size the cabinet height to meet you window sill. Drawer hold collections of hardware, biscuits, Short dowel lengths, etc

I use that space on my miter station to store the two benchtop machines I own (OSS and mortiser) as well as the "screw dispenser" that I build some time ago. I also have the window situation (8' "picture" window) and didn't want to block the light. If I had a little height, I'd likely put some low drawer/cabinets to store fasteners, small tools and other hardware, rather than leaving the surface to collect dust and chips that escape from the CMS.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...