Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How's about we make a deal...

How's about we make a deal...

Howdy. Newbie on the Creek here, but have grown up working wood as a hobby, in a family of part-time woodworkers of varying abilities and interests.

I'm finally planning to buy my first (likely last, at least for a long time) cabinet saw. I'm currently working with a circular saw/improvised fence, and have decided to make the investment in a piece of professional equipment (no offense to those who use such handheld systems professionally...)

My question is, how likely am I to be able to haggle over price with a manufacturer when their product is only available factory direct- ie no retailer (at least not one anywhere near me in lower Michigan)? I'm looking at the Laguna TS table saw, primarily for it's solid construction, riving knife, and upgradability (slider, etc.).

Any thoughts on my chances for working out a deal, or is it simply a "price as marked" game?

While we're at it, any thoughts on the merits of buying a cabinet saw/upgrade slider versus jumping what appears to be the chasm of at least another $3000 into the realm of small format saws? I'm awed by the possibilities of such a saw, but price is a big consideration for me in the short term (my budget is pretty firmly fixed at around $2,500), and saving for a format saw would mean waiting at least another year, likely more, to purchase the saw, while in the meantime projects (not to mention the Mrs. and her "honeydo" list) beckon...

Thanks all,
    JC

No help here on your saw purchase, but----
    Welcome to the creek!!!

I have not had any experience with the kind of saw you are talking about but you might contact Rojek, a former student of mine works in the headquarters in Little Rock.

Mostly I just wanted to welcome you to the creek. Someone else will chime in directly to answer your question.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Welcome to SMC

Another option as far as North American style cabinet saws would be a SawStop. It also has a riving knife, and the new Powermatic 2000 (which also includes built in mobile base) also has the riving knife.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Jeremy, I have zero knoweldge about how you go about getting a deal. But you've come to the right place. SMC has any number of guys who will be able to give you a hand on this one.

I just wanted to write and say welcome to SMC!

I can't help you with a saw recommendation, but I would recommend setting your sights on two or three comparable saws if you can. That way, you wouldn't feel obligated to pay whatever the price was for that one saw you were hoping to purchase. Also, it might help when you were talking to vendors to see if their prices had any wiggle room or if you could get some cool goodies thrown in to sweeten the deal. My dad taught me that it never hurts to ask. See what they'll do for you.

Take a good look at the Sawstop--for my first cut on ours I balanced a nickel on edge and then ripped a piece of 1 1/2" mahogany, Cut like butter and the nickle never moved. Instinctively turned it off with my left thigh. Love that jewel. Haven't tested all the features yet!
    Check www.sawstop.com
    Poor Antonio Stradivari, he never had a Shaper

you're on the right track and I would advise that if you can swing it make sure the saw has a riving knife.

If you don't want a slider, but do want the riving knife then there are a few options for you in your price range of 2500

new machines
    laguna
    powermatic
    ??

used machines
    oliver
    rockwell / delta rt-40
    tannewitz
    wadkin
    martin t-17 ( will be very hard to find one at that price range )
    some other old iron as well

probalby not going to get a slider of any type of quality for 2500 but you never know

best wishes
    lou

Jeremy,

As to your question about "haggling over price" with Laguna, I was able to get 200-300 (can't remember exactly) off their price on a 18" band saw at a woodworking show. They have "salesmen" that work off commission so give it a try. Welcome to the creek.
    Les

Welcome to SCM, Jeremy.

Most stationary equipment is sold "at the price"...if you catch a sale/rebate you can sometimes save a few dollars. And some companies like Laguna and Mini Max do have "show specials" as Les mentions. Otherwise...you pay the piper!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When I was shopping I called Oliver for prices, info, etc.. They called me back several times as I debated what to do. They were willing to give me a discount due to the cost of shipping cross country. they were willing to offer a discount if I bought several pieces of equipment. Several weeks later they called me back and offered me a big discount on a machine with a cosmetic blemish. I still wonder if I should have gone for it. I didn't even really push them. Seems there might well be room for haggling. Good Luck.

Dave Fried

Given your budget and you want a fairly decent saw, you can try this one:

Jet 708663STK Model: JTAS-10XL50-1ST XACTASAW Left, 3HP, 1Ph, 50" Fence, Sliding Table - $2308.00 on Amazon

Of course you can also buy Powermatic in tha price range as well. You do get better quality in some things with Powermatc, but it's still made across the pond...just like Jet.

Just an idea.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Welcome Jeremy - No experiences buying from Laguna, but whenever making a large purchase I've found it never hurts to ask. I'd contact Laguna, speak with a sales rep and explain your situation, and see what they can work out...the worst they can say is "no" and call you names, but they usually skip the last part! They might have a demo unit or a return they can work with. You don't necessarily have to close the deal the first time you talk.

Good luck.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Welcome to the Creek Jeremy. Where are you located at in Southern Michigan?
    Last edited by Tom Drake; 02-25-2006 at 4:41 AM.
    Reporting live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

Welcome Jeremy,

Don't know if you're interested, but a bunch of Creekers are getting together today, 2/25/06 for lunch, tour of Johnson's Lumber in Charlotte, and get-together at Steve Ash's place. It all starts at 11:30 A.M. at La Seniorita restaurant in Lansing. If you're interested, check the thread Michigan Creekers Lunch: Feb. 25th in the Off-Topic forum.

John
    Last edited by John Bailey; 02-25-2006 at 6:01 AM.
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.