Thread: Wine Cabinet - Curly Cherry Use/Placement ?

Wine Cabinet - Curly Cherry Use/Placement ?

Hello All!

I have been wrestling with this for quite a bit of time trying to figure out the best way to use the figured cherry that I gloated over awhile back which you can see here - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21278

My question is, what is the best way to use this wood in the wine cabinet that I drew up (see below).

Wine Cabinet Front-Side.jpg

The widest board I have is 11 1/2" wide. I wanted to use it for the side panel but it's not wide enough for a single panel. This is why I added the center divider for the side. But, I just can't see cutting this gorgeous board in half. (The smaller board that I have is going to be used for the door panels.)

Here's my thought: The doors would have figured panels, the sides and back would not. To utilize the width of the board, I would use the wide figured cherry for the top. What think ye? Would it even look good for the top? This is why I go back and forth thinking that maybe I should just rip it in half and use it for the side panels.

Ahhh!!!! I feel like a ping-pong ball!

EDIT: I guess I should have welcomed critiques as well on the overall design. If anything is glaringly wrong, feel free to say so. I just hope that I don't get kicked out of the "Shaker Club" for the flared legs.
    Last edited by Jason Tuinstra; 02-24-2006 at 1:48 PM.

I think your thoughts are good and I have no problem with the flared legs. There is still enough "Shaker" simplicity that the piece will fit in with your other work just fine. IMHO, of course! (Moser has pieces that have more oriental feel as well as pieces that lean more towards Stickley yet they all feel nice together)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jason, I went back and looked at that wonderful piece again. I think it would make a beautiful top and agree that it belongs there, not on the side panels. The design is clean and will look elegant in the cherry....
    Can't wait to see progress picson this!!
    Roger

If you have enough, the first thought that came to me was the top, door panels and drawer fronts.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann
    If you have enough, the first thought that came to me was the top, door panels and drawer fronts.
    Thanks guys! This is too nice a board to put in the wrong spot.

Gary: I agree. I might try to book match the door panels leaving enough for drawer fronts. We'll see!

Sure would be nice to see that curly cherry on the top and in the door panels all surrounded with some nice quartersawn stock. I am not sure I would use it for the drawer fronts but the top and door panels, absolutely!!!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stafford
    Sure would be nice to see that curly cherry on the top and in the door panels all surrounded with some nice quartersawn stock. I am not sure I would use it for the drawer fronts but the top and door panels, absolutely!!!
    I couldn't agree more about the qs. When I go to get the lumber I'm going to rummage through the stacks to see what I can find. Last time I was there I found some real nice qs stock, but I already used it. We'll see.

Jason,

Use the figured cherry for the top. If not the top, save it for a project with a series of drawer fronts and use it for that. Or, make another tin cupboard, and use the board for the panels from top to bottom, that would really show it off!

Last time I checked, you were President of the SMC Shaker Club, so I wouldn't worry about being kicked out.

I've got some curly cherry, but nothing like your board.

I am sure we will see pics of the finised project by Monday, if you follow your previous trends.

Another wasted weekend in a hotel room for me.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Martin, good to hear from you again. Chairman? Was that a motion? If so, I rule it out of order!

Don't worry about me getting this done any time soon. Monday I'm leaving for week long visit to San Diego. I've been asked to speak at one of our Christian Schools for their Spiritual Emphasis week. But as soon as this is over, I'm hoping to get this project under way.

Thanks for the advice!